• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plants - any ideas?

JackieS

Warren Scout
I have a bare patch in my garden that we initially dug out as an area for the buns to run around but we have now changed our mind. I'd like to fill it with evergreen plants that flower, that are rabbit safe. The buns will not be free roaming outside but I'd like them to be bunny safe so I could feed them any trimmings etc. Gardening and plants are not my forte so thought someone here might have some ideas. Evergreens preferred as I hate the winter when everything is brown and dead looking

Not much in the way of evergreens that are bunny safe. But as they aren't actually having access, a good option would be to mix some and some. Have some nice evergreen plants/shrubs and fill in around with plants that die back but are bunny edible.

Winter pansys (rabbit safe) would be a good option, but they need replacing annually - they do flower late and early and if it's mild all through winter. You could also add crocus bulbs (not edible) - they flower now but die back and disappear the rest of the year so good for planting between things to come up whilst they are brown/dead for winter.

Then you could have things like strawberries, which die back quite a bit in winter but are rabbit edible and look good din summer. Lots of herbs are bunny safe too and many will flower if you leave them to it. Nasturtiums would be a good option - although they are annuals they tend to self seed and if not are £1 a packet and you can sow them straight into the soil so very easy. They are really bright colours, rabbit edible, and will flower until the first frost.

If you decide on strawberries then put them in a pot else they are like mint; they are notorious spreaders and will send out shoots and before you know it you'll be innundated with them!

Yes, I have mint and strawberry and they are both contained for that reason lol

I do have hawthorn jane but at the moment it's in a pot as I thought they usually grow quite large (well at least all the hawthorn bushes I've seen anyway lol)

Back