• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spot on; Fly strike spray etc do I need to purchase?

Supershelleyb

Young Bun
As the title suggest really? I have seen all sorts of products in the pet shop and we have a cat which we de worm and flea so will do the rabbits 4 weekly too if need be? If we use a 4 weekly spot on do we still need to use a fly strike spray when the weather improves or would that be enough?

Or do most not do the spot on?

Thanks

I only use spot on if needed, I don't use it regularly as a preventative as I don't like to use chemicals on my buns unless necessary. The same with thing like rearguard, though I might consider it if I had a poorly or mobility compromised bun that was unable to clean themself and more at risk of flystrike.

It depends on where your buns are housed (indoors or outside) how often you check their bottoms lol and the time of year. My buns are indoor rabbits and I make sure no flies that get in the house survive long, and check their rear ends often, daily in the summer, so I don't use anything for preventing flystrike. However if your bun is outdoors in a hutch, then I would use it as fly stike can hit quick and do alot of damage within a day or two, so may not be spotted unless you do daily checks.

What I do use though is beaphar anti-parasite spot on as rabbits do seem to get micro-scopic mites in their fur which can hardly be seen unless you groom with a fine slicker rush.

I only use spot on if needed, I don't use it regularly as a preventative as I don't like to use chemicals on my buns unless necessary. The same with thing like rearguard, though I might consider it if I had a poorly or mobility compromised bun that was unable to clean themself and more at risk of flystrike.

I agree.

Thanks for the replies. Mine live outdoors. I have only had them since Sunday and haven't really done much bum checking tbh. I have to look at what's normal and get used to their little bodies... I nearly had a panic attack thinking one bun had a lump then he moved and I realised it was his leg bone.

In life I tend to prevent rather than cure but will look into the chemicals and things more. My cats always been treated and touch wood never had fleas or anything else horrid.

Be careful with what you use on rabbits (and any other animal that regularly licks itself clean) as some aren't supposed to be used on bunnies but are okay for dogs and cats, I guess because they aren't as sensitive as rabbits.

Back