• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does metacam last 24 hours?

DemiS

Warren Veteran
I've been given a bottle of metacam and told to give Baby 0.5mls once a day but I know most NSAID's don't last that long and she's been given a low dose for her size due to only having one kidney, is it better to half the dose and do it twice a day?

Rabbits do excrete meloxicam more rapidly than dogs or cats and often 12 hourly dosing is more beneficial. But you need to discuss it with the Vet, especially given the additional factor of your Rabbit only having one kidney.

For rabbits and guinea pigs, I have found it far better 12 hourly, obviously at half the dose each time.

It depends if it is being given as a painkiller or anti-inflammatory - I *think* one the effects last 24 hours (?anti-inflammatory) and the painkilling effect only 12 hours (though I might have got that the wrong way round).

So, if given as a painkiller two doses is often what's recommended.

To my knowledge there is no evidence of Metacam causing damage to kidneys in rabbits because of their fast metabolism compared to cats and dogs. Though obviously you'd not want to take the risk unless absolutely essential with one kidney.

Rabbits do excrete meloxicam more rapidly than dogs or cats and often 12 hourly dosing is more beneficial. But you need to discuss it with the Vet, especially given the additional factor of your Rabbit only having one kidney.

Okay thankyou :) I did tell the vet just before she did it to make sure she took the kidney into account

It depends if it is being given as a painkiller or anti-inflammatory - I *think* one the effects last 24 hours (?anti-inflammatory) and the painkilling effect only 12 hours (though I might have got that the wrong way round).

So, if given as a painkiller two doses is often what's recommended.

To my knowledge there is no evidence of Metacam causing damage to kidneys in rabbits because of their fast metabolism compared to cats and dogs. Though obviously you'd not want to take the risk unless absolutely essential with one kidney.

She called it an anti-inflammatory but she didn't specifically say if it mainly for pain or to take the swelling down. She's constantly eating though and didn't even flinch when the vet was touching her tail so I don't think she's in that much pain

She called it an anti-inflammatory but she didn't specifically say if it mainly for pain or to take the swelling down. She's constantly eating though and didn't even flinch when the vet was touching her tail so I don't think she's in that much pain

I'm questionning if what I said is even right! I read it on here, can't remember who said it, but somebody knowledgeable and I stored the information but not sure how accurate it is. However Artie (also a one-kidney bunny) was on one dose of Metacam daily as an anti-inflammatory so it seems likely as his vet would definitely have split the dose if there was any benefit.

I'm questionning if what I said is even right! I read it on here, can't remember who said it, but somebody knowledgeable and I stored the information but not sure how accurate it is. However Artie (also a one-kidney bunny) was on one dose of Metacam daily as an anti-inflammatory so it seems likely as his vet would definitely have split the dose if there was any benefit.

Yeah I guess so, I told the vet that it was no problem syringing her meds so she must of put once daily for a reason rather than thinking i wouldn't be able to do it twice a day. I think after her last op it was once daily, although they had a different brand name but they were still a NSAID

Back