• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pets At Home Neutering

Freakinfreak

Alpha Buck
Hiya RU,

When adopting Neo they gave me a voucher to get him neutered for free.
I was wondering if anyone had any experience of using the Pets At Home vets for this sort of thing?

It seems a shame to waste it, and as he is male I know the risks are quite a bit lower for things going wrong.
It would be nice to get it done soon and after he has been neutered I would then register him to a 'proper' veterinary hospital for jabs, check ups, etc.

Thanks for any input :)

My ex got a rabbit from P@H and used their companion care vet surgery for neutering. He was fine, but a bit spooked afterwards & a bit out of it for a day or so. I had my rabbit done at the vet surgery I use & mine seemed his normal self when I collected him. That's the only experience I've had though so not sure it's valid esp as it was about 2009 too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have any experience, but you might want to add your location since there will be some variation in the different branches.

My ex got a rabbit from P@H and used their companion care vet surgery for neutering. He was fine, but a bit spooked afterwards & a bit out of it for a day or so. I had my rabbit done at the vet surgery I use & mine seemed his normal self when I collected him. That's the only experience I've had though so not sure it's valid esp as it was about 2009 too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the input :)

I don't have any experience, but you might want to add your location since there will be some variation in the different branches.

Ooh, good idea.
The branch is in Slough :)

I had for both my girls to get them spayed for free which I used at to Stockport campion care. Rabbits were fine afterwards, given great advice to get them eating and was strongly advised to purchase pain medication for them which I did.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Millie had a voucher to have her neutered (She was adoption centre) in my local Companion Care vets.....No troubles at all. Different level of service to what I am used to with my usual vet but that was to be expected as they don't know me there.

I had to pay extra for her painkillers to take home though :thumb:

My local vets for pets are brilliant, complete with a couple of very rabbit savvy vets but like any vet practice they are only as good as their individual vets xx

I adopted Theo from Support Adoption in April and had him neutered at V4P. Never ever again. He had an infected scrotum that wasn't picked up and treated as it should have been on the post-op check up (what's the point of a check up if what should be glaringly obvious isn't investigated/treated!). I took him to my own vet for a second opinion, who felt there was no time to waste and operated on him within a couple of hours. He had an infection that could have killed him and I was dissatisfied with V4P response to my complaint letter. ... they wanted it to appear 'black and crispy' on the outside of his body before they would recognise it as an infection (on post-mortem then, maybe :evil:)

They are however franchises but I've adopted Skunk and Olly but elected to have them neutered with my own vets as I don't ever want to encounter that nightmare again, so would only use my vet now for surgery.

Last edited:
Back