• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

OMG, something horrible happened tonight.

Inimical Me

Wise Old Thumper
I was laid on the sofa watching TV after having a couple of drinks, when I heard Bea suddenly make a mad dash around her run (she's in a rectangular run made of 2 of these together: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004QRKP5I/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Usually she'd have free range of the front room whilst I'm in here with her but I'm moving house on Saturday so there is stuff everywhere.

When I heard her crashing around I jumped up and saw her at the far end of her run. It looked like she'd got one of her feet stuck in the bars and I ran over to free her. When I got near her she screamed (I know rabbits can scream but in 9 years of keeping rabbits I'd never heard it) and when I looked she had her HEAD stuck in the bars. I tried briefly to prise the bars apart but had to run and get my o/h out of bed to help me. Between the two of us we managed to prise the bars apart and force her head back through. One of the worst experiences of my life.

Bea seems ok in herself. She's hopping around and exploring, albeit more slowly than usual, and she's understandably off her food a bit (and I'm worried sick), I'm just so happy that I was in the room when it happened because I can't bear to think if I'd been asleep in the bedroom and found her 8 hours later in the morning.

I'm going to call the vet first thing and have her checked over to make sure everything is OK. I'll be staying up tonight to keep an eye on her . I've been in tears, I know she's a small bunny (1.4kg when I weighed her last week), but the bars of the run are no more than 1.75" wide, probably less, I can't believe she got her head stuck. Logically I know it was probably a freak accident but I feel worried about leaving her in there now. I feel guilty too, I took some panels out today and reduced the size from 9 foot to 6 foot temporarily to make room for all the boxes I've packed to move. If I hadn't, she'd probably have been able to have a mad panic without that happening.

I don't know what frightened her either. There were no loud noises of anything:(:cry:.

how scary. bet you're really shaken. i remember bisc getting his head caught in a hole in the curtain that he made and it was awful. thank goodness you were there. hope she will be ok. xxx

Aw poor wee bub :( I hope she'll be okay tonight. I can imagine it was horribly frightening for you. (((((Hugs)))) xxxx

Thank you both. It was awful, that little scream :shock::cry::cry:.

I nodded off at 3am, my o/have checked on her at 4.15 when she got up for work and Bea had had a little nibble of her pellets. I've checked her now and they've all been eaten and she was munching on a bit of carrot so hopefully she's OK. I was worried that she's hurt her teeth, so I'll be keeping a close eye on her hay eating but she seems OK in herself, just understandably a bit quiet.

How auwful must have given you both such a scare :cry: I'm glad she's feeling ok today x

how scary. bet you're really shaken. i remember bisc getting his head caught in a hole in the curtain that he made and it was awful. thank goodness you were there. hope she will be ok. xxx

My Max did exactly this last year. I had to practically sit on him to stop him panicking and thrashing, while OH cit him out of it :shock: Now I am obsessive about sewing the holes in the curtains and tie them up out of the way :roll:

I've only once had something like this happen and it's awful :( I was 15 and had Keira hopping around my house on a harness when she darted in & out of the wooden railing things in the bannister & got tangled. She kicked & screamed too :(

Hope your bunny feels better this morning & the vet can reassure you there's no injuries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So many bunnies have died after getting their head stuck in those runs :( I never leave mine unsupervised in my puppy pen now (it's inside like yours). Thank goodness you found her and I hope she's alright xx

When Cheyenne was little we put her in a puppy pen whilst sorting out a new pen for her - turned round to check on her and she had managed to get her head and shoulders through the bars but was in a panic as was stuck. So grateful she trusts me so much - I managed to calm her down, whilst hubby very gently manoeuvred her hips and back legs through. So frightening though.

And last week Bug managed to somehow get her front leg caught in a barrier and OH tried to free her but she struggled some more and ended up landing on her head :shock:. I was actually out in town at that point with some friends I hadn't seen in months - got a frantic phone call from hubby so raced home to find Bug absolutly fine - a little subdued but eating like nothing had happened. Hubby had immedialty phoned the emergency vets and said he was coming in but cancelled it when Bug seemed to be okay.

It is so frightening when they get trapped - I do hope Bea is okay this morning.

Thanks everyone. She seems ok in herself, she’s been eating hay, pellets and veg today. I spoke to a vet nurse and they said to keep an eye on her eating/drinking/pooing and for signs of pain, which I obviously will.

I move house tomorrow, so she’ll either be free range or if she’s in the run I’ll be covering each panel with a square of mesh to prevent any similar incidents. I never want to experience that ever again. The little scream was one of the worst things I’ve ever heard. :shock:

How auwful must have given you both such a scare :cry: I'm glad she's feeling ok today x

My Max did exactly this last year. I had to practically sit on him to stop him panicking and thrashing, while OH cit him out of it :shock: Now I am obsessive about sewing the holes in the curtains and tie them up out of the way :roll:

that's what bisc did. he panicked and started jumping up and twisting in the material and it was getting tighter around his neck. :( we had to rip the curtain by hand to get him out. i just burst into tears after. x

Thanks everyone. She seems ok in herself, she’s been eating hay, pellets and veg today. I spoke to a vet nurse and they said to keep an eye on her eating/drinking/pooing and for signs of pain, which I obviously will.

I move house tomorrow, so she’ll either be free range or if she’s in the run I’ll be covering each panel with a square of mesh to prevent any similar incidents. I never want to experience that ever again. The little scream was one of the worst things I’ve ever heard. :shock:

the scream is meant to be horrible. hope i never hear it. glad she seems ok in herself. x

that's what bisc did. he panicked and started jumping up and twisting in the material and it was getting tighter around his neck. :( we had to rip the curtain by hand to get him out. i just burst into tears after. x

I burst into tears afterwards too. It was dreadful.

This happened to Bobby too and he nearly strangled himself.If I hadn't come downstairs when I did we would have lost him. He was frantic and the more he moved and turned the tighter it got around his neck. After I cut him out I had to sit on the floor to calm down, I was so shaken by it!!!

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

You must have got such a fright seeing Bea stuck like that. I have never actually heard the rabbit scream! I hope she has recovered after her ordeal and you too x

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks everyone. Bea is eating and drinking but a bit quiet. Her poos are a bit small but that might have something to do with me giving her more treats than usual to keep her eating. She's started flopping put again now so must be feeling better :D.

I'm still traumatised :lol:.

I had the same thing with my Kenco, he got his head caught in a hole and I just noticed in time as he was screaming and struggling for breath :( Managed to just free him, but I was at home alone at the time as my OH was abroad and it scared the life out of us both (me and Kenco I mean!). He was fine after about half an hour but I was a mess! :(

that is terrifying, both jasper and buttons&nibbles have playpens and i leave them in them unsupervised........ :( hope bea is ok xxx

Back