• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dragging back legs :(

mudchild

Warren Scout
Hi, sorry if this is a repeated post but I can't seem to find an answer.
So I got home from work today and my house bunny ozzy was fine.. Chilling on a rug with my other bunny. I fed them and they laid down in their crate after that . Again all ok.
A little bit after that I could hear him trying to hop but his back legs had gone .
He is dragging them behind. I tried him with food and he ate no probs.
I took him straight to the vet who gave him anti inflammatory and I prescribed metacam and says he needs bed rest.
He has feeling in spine and feet etc but literally is dragging legs along

I'm so worried . He is literally the most amazing little bunny ever.
The vet didn't really know what it could be.
Anyone experienced this?
Anything I should be doing?
Thanks x

You may want to ask your vet about a 28 day course of panacur in case of E.C. infection.

I did a quick google and this website came up with some suggestions of the cause; http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=490

But ultimately you'll need a vet who can investigate further. If you post your location, someone may be able to suggest a rabbit savvy vet in your area.

Hi, thanks for your replies.
I am live in sutton surrey/greater london .. Would love to take him to a savvy rabbit vet .
I'm just confused as to what the vet I saw was diagnosing etc
If anyone knows one?
I'm suprised he didn't mention ec as looking at links it looks possible.
It's so strange as apart from his legs he seems fine.. Eating . Even grooming me!
He said x rays may be dangerous as he is between 6 and 7 - got him through here 5 years ago ❤️

Hi, thanks for your replies.
I am live in sutton surrey/greater london .. Would love to take him to a savvy rabbit vet .
I'm just confused as to what the vet I saw was diagnosing etc
If anyone knows one?
I'm suprised he didn't mention ec as looking at links it looks possible.
It's so strange as apart from his legs he seems fine.. Eating . Even grooming me!
He said x rays may be dangerous as he is between 6 and 7 - got him through here 5 years ago ❤️

Bobtails rescue in ewell use Corner Vets. They are very rabbit savvy

http://thecornervet.com

While I agree with possible ec or even a small stroke.

We also had this happen to an older bun and he had fractured his pelvis. An x ray will tell you whether there is an injury or whether is is more likely neurological.

Good luck and i hope your bunny is back on his feet soon

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

I have booked an appointment for this morning at corner vets to see what they say.
Really worried as he can't seem to get up at all today :(

EC - I'm not a vet, but this is exactly what happened with Dexy. Get him to a vet & on 28 day course of panacur & metacam immediately! Help him get to his food & water if necessary, you MUST keep him well fed & hydrated. Don't let his leg muscles waste away either, I used to massage Dexter's legs to keep them moving. He needs constant supervision so you can help him with his food & water & watch for him soiling himself too - especially urine burns.

I lost Dex to EC - I'm not saying this will happen to you, Dexy recovered from the first attack - so this is a very sensitive issue for me so apologies if I come over as over zealous etc. if you have any questions, contact me. I'm not an expert by any means, I just have my experience with my soul bunny and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. If I can do anything to help anybun with EC, I will.

Lots and lots of vibes & good luck! Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blooming heck. I would want an xray done right away. It could be anything, and the only way to diagnose a break is to have an xray (unless it's an obvious one). It could also be arthritis, or numerous other things.

Sending tons and tons of vibes to your bun.

Keep us updated. x

EC - I'm not a vet, but this is exactly what happened with Dexy. Get him to a vet & on 28 day course of panacur & metacam immediately! Help him get to his food & water if necessary, you MUST keep him well fed & hydrated. Don't let his leg muscles waste away either, I used to massage Dexter's legs to keep them moving. He needs constant supervision so you can help him with his food & water & watch for him soiling himself too - especially urine burns.

I lost Dex to EC - I'm not saying this will happen to you, Dexy recovered from the first attack - so this is a very sensitive issue for me so apologies if I come over as over zealous etc. if you have any questions, contact me. I'm not an expert by any means, I just have my experience with my soul bunny and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. If I can do anything to help anybun with EC, I will.

Lots and lots of vibes & good luck! Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I certainly wouldn't want to do any massage or exercise until an xray has ruled out physical injury or it could make things do much worse x

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks all
I went to the second vet. She says it could be a bruise or ec.
His legs still aren't working but they have feeling in them.
He is now on panacur and anti bs as well as metacam
It's very stressful watching him so unlike his active self.
He is eating hay and a little veg but isn't really eating pellets which he normally loves
Do you think I need to give him recovery?
He is on bed rest in his crate and is quite perky despite not getting up.. Still grooming me etc and alert

My bun was dragging one of his back legs after an xray. The vets think he kicked out whilst coming round from a GA and hurt his nerves. He has no/little feeling in his toes, he can use his leg but knuckles over on his toes.

He had a week's cage rest, and he was off all his food. He ate his hay, but not much of it, and wasn't too fussed with his pellets either. He went mad for forage, though, and readigrass, so I offered him plenty of these. If you have recovery food, you could offer him it and see if he takes it, but I wouldn't syringe feed him. If he stops eating and pooing altogether, then he needs to see a vet before trying to syringe feed him.

As regards to an xray; it is something I would want to do, just in case.

Does he seem in pain?

He doesn't seem in any pain at all. He is really quite perky today and he seems a little bit better on his legs. He is eating hay and a little grated carrot and is pooing and weeing.
It's just so hard to tell what is wrong with him
I was supposed to be going to Dublin yesterday and ended up not getting my flight as I felt awful leaving him, even though my mum would of looked after him.
I guess I just keep up with the meds etc until he sees the vets on weds.
I'm sure they will suggest a X-ray then
Thanks

Oh lots of vibes for you, it's horrible when they are ill and you feel so useless. I'm at work today worrying about Doughnut as she was ill over the weekend and off to the vets tomorrow. At least you can keep an eye on him, metacam is really good so should hopefully keep him painfree.

Could you tempt him with some fresh herbs, most rabbits love some sort if you're worried about his food intake.

It really is awful. You feel so helpless
Hope doughnut is ok
I have to say there is quite a bit if improvement :)
He seems to be using his back legs more now and is getting stronger
He is even biting the bars to get out one which has to be a sign he isn't so weak!
He has been eating some parsley and some herbs
Sure he knows the medicine is helping him as he is being so good!
I'm keeping everything crossed.. Really hoping the vet thinks he has improved too!

It really is awful. You feel so helpless
Hope doughnut is ok
I have to say there is quite a bit if improvement :)
He seems to be using his back legs more now and is getting stronger
He is even biting the bars to get out one which has to be a sign he isn't so weak!
He has been eating some parsley and some herbs
Sure he knows the medicine is helping him as he is being so good!
I'm keeping everything crossed.. Really hoping the vet thinks he has improved too!

:thumb: Excellent.

Bunnies generally like metacam, it tastes like honey. My bun runs over and demands his metacam when it's time to give him it. :lol:

Back