• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Info on some illnesses for college project, help really appreciated!!

DarceyH

Warren Scout
Hi all,

It has been a while since I have posted on here as I have been busy at college!

I am currently taking an access course to H.E. (I hated my A levels so screwed them up) in land based studies at Hadlow College (if any of you have heard of it) and I have a place to study a degree in Animal Conservation and Biodiversity though I am thinking of changing to Behaviour and welfare instead and taking a masters in conservation instead but I'm not sure yet.

ANYWAY, I currently have an assignment form my Animal Management module on common illnesses in two species of our choice. I, obviously, chose dogs and rabbits as those are the animals i have the most experiences. I have to talk about three illnesses for each. i need to talk about symptoms, how it effects the animal, cause and treatment. i have chosen Fly Strike, Snuffles and GI Stasis for my rabbit ailments and was hoping for some first hand experiences or just some general knowledge on them to add from what i have gotten from books and my own knowledge. Any info is amazing, thank you!

PS i am looking into kennel cough, arthritis and heart worm for dogs just in case anyone has any knowledge about that either.

luckily all my pets have never had any of these problems (touch wood) apart from a slight bit of arthritis in my older god but its only a hint.

why not 'search' for them? there must be reams of stuff in health.

I would, but I would like to be able to reference one page and multiple authors than reference a bunch of different threads. I am also being a tad lazy as if would be very helpful to have infomation all in one place.

Our last dog Tessa, a collie cross had arthritis. She collapsed one day when she was about 12 and we thought she'd had a stroke. Vet said she'd hidden it so well then just couldn't cope any more-never shown any signs. She was on daily metacam and cod liver oil tabs and was rapidly like a puppy again. She lived till she was nearly 17 when cancer finally got her :(

We now have 2, 11 year old border collies, Belle and Lucy, who are both on cod liver oil and glucosamine tablets every day. Belle has a condition where her spine and pelvis have fused trapping the sciatic nerve so she's on PLT's as well. Both are like two year olds :D

Hope that helps. If there is any specific info you require just ask me x

How can you use us as references? You need to be citing reliable sources, such as websites and peer reviewed journals - not people on a bunny forum. Unless, for some reason, your lecturers are specifically looking for first hand experiences of forum users in which case you should be using surveymonkey or similar to remove bias. Using random people on a forum is not acceptable at HE level, so I'd be surprised if it was allowed at an access to HE level! I'm graduating from my animal biology degree this year, and did an HND in animal management beforehand, and I would never have been allowed to use people on a bunny forum.

There's plenty of information on those problems if you search via google scholar, or via your college journal access page. Or even if you look at other, reliable pages. It's not up to us to do your homework!

thank you Loftyfiva!

How can you use us as references? You need to be citing reliable sources, such as websites and peer reviewed journals - not people on a bunny forum. Unless, for some reason, your lecturers are specifically looking for first hand experiences of forum users in which case you should be using surveymonkey or similar to remove bias. Using random people on a forum is not acceptable at HE level, so I'd be surprised if it was allowed at an access to HE level! I'm graduating from my animal biology degree this year, and did an HND in animal management beforehand, and I would never have been allowed to use people on a bunny forum.

There's plenty of information on those problems if you search via google scholar, or via your college journal access page. Or even if you look at other, reliable pages. It's not up to us to do your homework!

I have been looking at academic texts, journals and a few university websites, however this is a particularly relaxed assignment and I was hoping for a bit of first hand experience just to get me started and i like to reference sources i have used in a bibliography even if i have not cited the work directly. I understand that this is not the most reliable source, and i certainly am not asking you to do my homework for me. I just thought it may give me further ideas and pathways to look into. I didn't know about survaymonkey and i shall look into it. Thanks for the input, and congrats on the forthcoming graduation!

Back