• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Infected tail - how much will pain relief and antibiotics cost?

DemiS

Warren Veteran
The mystery of Baby's missing tail hasn't been solved, it was healing fine but suddenly it looks quite badly infected, i think she might of been messing with it. I've got an appointment at Calder vets tomorrow, never used them before but it's the only one I can get to by bus and I was just wondering if they'll probably just give her pain relief and antibiotics and if so, how much does this usually cost? I hope it's nothing more serious than that, I'm getting really paranoid they might have to amputate it or something :(

Impossible to give an estimate as all Vets set their own Fees

There would be whatever they charge for a consultation + any medication prescribed. I am afraid the need for surgery is a real possibility with that sort of injury :cry:

The mystery of Baby's missing tail hasn't been solved, it was healing fine but suddenly it looks quite badly infected, i think she might of been messing with it. I've got an appointment at Calder vets tomorrow, never used them before but it's the only one I can get to by bus and I was just wondering if they'll probably just give her pain relief and antibiotics and if so, how much does this usually cost? I hope it's nothing more serious than that, I'm getting really paranoid they might have to amputate it or something :(

Oh my fave vet has just left our practice and gone to calder vets.... Laura.... she is really lovely

Impossible to give an estimate as all Vets set their own Fees

There would be whatever they charge for a consultation + any medication prescribed. I am afraid the need for surgery is a real possibility with that sort of injury :cry:

I know the consultation is £26 I'm just not sure at all about meds, you don't think they'd cost more than the consultation do you if it was just antibiotics and painkiller? And I really really hope that isn't the case :( I'll have to find a way to get over to my other vets if they do, and my family are going to kill me if they find out I've spent more money on her :( Calder charge a fortune for spaying/neutering

Oh my fave vet has just left our practice and gone to calder vets.... Laura.... she is really lovely

I've jsut checked the website, unfortunately she's not at the branch I'm going to

If it was oral it wouldn't be too much more, but I think they will need to give her baytril injection at least to kick start things :(

Can you go to RSPCA or PDSA?

If it was oral it wouldn't be too much more, but I think they will need to give her baytril injection at least to kick start things :(

Can you go to RSPCA or PDSA?

Are baytril injections expensive? And I don't think I'd qualify, I don't get benefits or anything

Baytril is quite cheap Demi x

Oh good. Do you think they'd let me try with the antibiotics and pain relief (to stop her messing with it) before they do surgery? I'm going to really struggle to afford surgery even if i did find a way to get to my cheaper vets :( And I'm guessing it'd cost more than a spay/neuter?

I pay about £6 for a baytril injection, £7 for a bottle of baytril to do at home and £6 for a metacam injection.

I can't remember what the cost of a bottle of metacam is.

I pay about £6 for a baytril injection, £7 for a bottle of baytril to do at home and £6 for a metacam injection.

I can't remember what the cost of a bottle of metacam is.

Thankyou! That's not bad at all, would you say your vets are quite cheap or expensive?

Getting to my other vets is out of the question as it'll take 2 hours each way on public transport :shock:, just praying that she doesn't need surgery. If amputation is the only way, do you think they'd take kindly to me saying im going to have to find a cheaper vet so they'll have to send the notes over? :oops:

Thankyou! That's not bad at all, would you say your vets are quite cheap or expensive?

Getting to my other vets is out of the question as it'll take 2 hours each way on public transport :shock:, just praying that she doesn't need surgery. If amputation is the only way, do you think they'd take kindly to me saying im going to have to find a cheaper vet so they'll have to send the notes over? :oops:

I think mine are above average but haven't used another in a long time. I know they wanted £120 for a Spey 5 years ago so I used a different one and paid £55.

One of the vets I have used is very expensive, so instead of antibiotic and pain-killing injections I always ask for the oral variety.

Also, tell them that your rabbit is not insured (if he isn't) and maybe they will take that into account?

Good luck :)

One of the vets I have used is very expensive, so instead of antibiotic and pain-killing injections I always ask for the oral variety.

Also, tell them that your rabbit is not insured (if he isn't) and maybe they will take that into account?

Good luck :)

Okay I'll see what the difference is between the injections and the oral medicine :) And nah she's not insured, hopefully they'll take pity on me and charge less like my last vet did :oops:

Okay I'll see what the difference is between the injections and the oral medicine :) And nah she's not insured, hopefully they'll take pity on me and charge less like my last vet did :oops:

I would always have an injection while there if possible. It saves stressing them out trying to get even more oral mess in them.

I think mine are above average but haven't used another in a long time. I know they wanted £120 for a Spey 5 years ago so I used a different one and paid £55.

Wow :shock: But then again maybe if they charge so much for operations they don't need to make up costs by charging a lot for meds? I don't think any of my rabbits spays/neuters have cost more than £50

I would always have an injection while there if possible. It saves stressing them out trying to get even more oral mess in them.

Okay thankyou :) She's quite good with meds though, I had to syringe her gut stimulants and pain meds a few months ago because she went in for a spay and came out minus a kidney and two huge tumors :shock:

Oh gosh poor baby! :love:

I know, the vets were wonderful though, when they rang and said there seemed to be a tumour inside they said I'll be looking at around £100 for the complicated operation, they found even more problems once inside and had to keep her in overnight but they didn't charge me a penny more :) Wont be able to get to them now though :( She must of felt miles better after the operation though, the vets were amazed at how quickly she was wide awake and intent on destroying everything in her cage despite the fact she was supposed to rest :roll: :lol:

I'm jealous of all you with cheap baytril injections! I have to pay £12 and £20 for metacam injection!!

Demi - RSPCA will see you if you have a low income (ie student, work less than certain hours etc), may be worth checking

Back