• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can a rabbits fur change colour as they grow?

I've noticed a patch above faiths eye and at first I thought she had injured herself but on closer inspection there is nothing there but a dark grey patch of fur. She has a few other smaller patches on her back too. She's about 8 months old now. X

I've noticed a patch above faiths eye and at first I thought she had injured herself but on closer inspection there is nothing there but a dark grey patch of fur. She has a few other smaller patches on her back too. She's about 8 months old now. X

Yes they can... a rabbit I had as a child was grey, and then turned completely black. My Peggy looks different from one month to the next also. each time she moults it comes back different x

Thank you. I should imagine the fur that is darker is from where she got in a tussle with Jessie a few weeks back after Jessie escaped her run. How crazy that they can moult and change a different colour I hope she stays the grey she is I love the different tones in her fur x

If you look closely at her fur, I expect you'll find each strand has different colours along the length, possibly white nearest the skin, then a band of grey and then right at the tip black or dark grey? When they moult/grow new fur and it's just coming through you'll see that black/grey tip first, which mean it will look like she has dark patches. As the fur grows all the way through it should end up looking normal :)

My bunny Snoopy started with a small dark patch on his nose and as he has got older its grown and faded from almost black to grey, so I think it's normal!

If you look closely at her fur, I expect you'll find each strand has different colours along the length, possibly white nearest the skin, then a band of grey and then right at the tip black or dark grey? When they moult/grow new fur and it's just coming through you'll see that black/grey tip first, which mean it will look like she has dark patches. As the fur grows all the way through it should end up looking normal :)

Now you mention it yes her fur is whiter closer to the skin getting greyer as you go along. You learn something new everyday lol. X

My Flopsy changes when he moults and had a brown band round his ear like a tattoo last summer. He is lighter in the winter and darker in the summer xx

:thumb:

Yes, my coco was so named as she was a lovely chocolate brown all over when we rescued her, when spring came around she was caramel from head to footsies. Still just as lovely but she didn't then match her name at all!:lol: She changed with the seasons.

Back