• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should baytril be given once or twice a day?

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
My vet had prescribed 2.4ml of Baytril once a day for Strawbs however I have read online it should be half of this twice a day.

Should I split the dose? I would prefer to as it's hard work getting 2.4ml in him at once as he spits it back out!

Last edited:
I would check with the vet as there may be a reason for the amount and dosage.

It does sound like a lot though so I can see why he spits it back out.

I hope he feels better soon xx

Not sure on the dosage issue; but if you mix the baytril with some Ella's kitchen baby food (carrot/parsnip works well) and some recovery food it masks the taste quite well. Might be worth a try? My Nena would wolf it down, she seemed very happy to eat it like that.

That does sound like alot - but then again, Strawbs is a big boy isn't he:love:

I'd double check with vets.

Sorry I meant once a day- have edited my first post.

I am sure the dose is right but wanted to know if I could split it and do half twice a day instead of all at once?

He is very grumpy this morning and won't even take the metacam from the syringe which he usually loves!

I have tried mixing it with apple juice but that didn't work. I have now hidden it in a grape and if that doesn't work I will head out to buy some baby food!

Back