• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vet trip yesterday

Kirotea

Mama Doe
So I took Millie and Maddie to the vets yesterday. I was thinking of taking them as they were 6 months old but after advice on here decided I wad being overly obsessive. Things changed though when Millie had two bits of missing hair on the outside of her ear so I took them in. I thought it might be a sign of ear mites but the vet thinks it came from a heat source and they do sit under the radiator, so I felt horrible then! :( I had turned the radiator down already and it's only on for an hour in the eveing but that radiator has gone off now.

He weighed them - they are both about 1.8 now up from 1.1 in December and he thinks they will probably get to 2kg. He cut their nails and Maddie had a bleeder which was horrible.

He said two things though that I thought were a bit odd. I said I was having trouble picking them up as I'm a wuss and worried I might drop them. And he said you could scruff a rabbit. I thought scuffing was an absolute no no. I would never do it. If they don't like being picked up why would you ever do it by the neck.

He also said that vegetables were really a treat. I thought vegetables were essential for vitamins and things not a treat. Obviously they aren't fed as liberally as hay but I wouldn't call it a treat. I'm quite strict on what my two get but they have a little "salad" every day.

Just wondered what you thought? He was recommended by a few people on here.

Millie and Maddie just about forgave me after their visit anyway and I'm hoping we won't have to go again until their jabs in December.

Some vets do scruff buns and recommend it to us - but it really is big no no - I would only do it as a very final resort - eg.to get a rabbit out of a dangerous situation quickly and it was the only way. My vet has scruffed our buns - Harley in particular BUT did support their bums as the same time so it wasn't too bad - didn't like it though and it's only because he is so good on other things we stay with him. But really - if you don't need to pick up your buns, then don't. Most of them do not like it at all and will struggle - and they do seem to sense if you're not confident and will struggle more. Out of our 6 buns - there is only 1 bun I can pick up easily - the rest just won't have it (obviously if they get themselves stuck somewhere - then they do get pick up). Yes - causes the vet and the nurses there a few issues - but that's what we pay them for.

We don't feed our buns vegies - or maybe a bit of carrot as a treat occassionally. We had a bad experience of stasis with Bobo and just won't risk it again with any of them. BUT - they get a big variety of dry foods and herbs - and of course loads of hay. So I feel you can get the vitamins etc into them that way as well. Our buns are all very healthy, active, naughty creatures who seem to be thriving on a dry diet. It really is up to the individual - some people do feed vegies - some don't.

Back