• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Making ground dig-proof

jemjabella

Mama Doe
With me having gone back to full time work this month (hence my quietness :lol:) we've used the old metal cat run panels to create a run for the rabbits as I can't supervise their free range time - this will mean they have garden access unsupervised, and aren't stuck in the shed all day.

Anyway, we need to stop them digging out, so need some quick links / suggestions on what sort of gauge mesh we need to bury, how deep, etc. Any help most appreciated so we can get our bunnies run space asap - ta :)

Depth depends how much you want them to dig. You can sit in on the top of the soil and let grass grow though which means no digging. A bit deeper lets then scrap a bit or you can dig out a pit (as shallow or deep as you like), line it and fill in back in.

1" square is fine, that lets the grass grow through easily without be so big they can dig much.

Good point! I don't mind them digging a bit, just don't want them to get out (or hurt their feet on the mesh) - so will go for a few inches I think.

Cheers Tamsin :D

I did one of my runs with the mesh buried a few inches deep and the next run I just laid mesh then put turf on top. However, both just turned to dirt, the grass has barely ever regrown and with the weather we've been having, they both got very muddy! Summer and Skye even have their own pond some days! I'm currently changing their set up and making a big walk in run which I'm going to put deck boards down and add a large digging box full of earth, that I'm making from the panels from an old tool shed that's past it's best!! I think it's all trial and error but if I were u I'd consider a solid ground instead and either have a moveable run for grass or let the bunnies free range when you're there to supervise! I wanted my runs to be as natural as possible on grass, but it's just not been very practical :(

I did one of my runs with the mesh buried a few inches deep and the next run I just laid mesh then put turf on top. However, both just turned to dirt, the grass has barely ever regrown and with the weather we've been having, they both got very muddy! Summer and Skye even have their own pond some days! I'm currently changing their set up and making a big walk in run which I'm going to put deck boards down and add a large digging box full of earth, that I'm making from the panels from an old tool shed that's past it's best!! I think it's all trial and error but if I were u I'd consider a solid ground instead and either have a moveable run for grass or let the bunnies free range when you're there to supervise! I wanted my runs to be as natural as possible on grass, but it's just not been very practical :(

Thanks for sharing your experience. TBH we DO suffer with mud issues as it is, so we may have to consider that. Hmm, so many options :lol:

Thanks for sharing your experience. TBH we DO suffer with mud issues as it is, so we may have to consider that. Hmm, so many options :lol:

I know, I spent so long planning my hutch and run set ups only last year and now I'm changing it all again! Luckily I'd already got the deck boards for something else so going to use them in the run now! I'm going to see how well they sit on their own but I may get some pea gravel to put down first so they will be level! I'm using my runs on their sides so there will already be mesh on the bottom (which is currently the side! Basically I'm sandwiching two runs together to make a big mesh box!) so the deck boards may be ok but gravel is an idea if the ground is a bit uneven. Plus it will help with drainage. Ideally I'd have it on flags but not really an option for me as it's rented house and flags r too heavy for me to do it myself :lol: I plan to have grass in trays too and cover with some mesh or something so they can't eat the roots or dig (another thing I learnt through trial and error :roll:)

Hi. We put mesh down on our grass which was then attached to the sides of the run via long pieces of wood. I then went to the local garden centre and bought rolls of turf for £2. Sq mtre and laid it over the top. It has bedded really nicely. My buns aren't diggers so not sure how this set up would suit buns that are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back