• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to approach in-laws on neglected lionhead?

issy_

New Kit
Hello, I'm new to this forum!

So, I have had rabbits before when younger. I had a dwarf lopeared and he was my everything but I need some advice and questions answered.

My inlaws have a lionhead who to me seems neglected. Yes, he gets fed, water, cleaned regularly and so on and so on. But hes never handled unless hes groomed, never let out. Hes in an insulated shed in a 3ft indoor cage. I have a pet bearded dragon and even he has a bigger moving space than the rabbit does. He can't be let into the house because of the inlaws allergies. Granted, they didnt want the rabbit in the first place. They were looking after him whilst the original owner was in hospital, she came out and said she wouldn't except him back.

I want to basically adopt him, buy him a nice hutch and stuff ans maybe get him a friend since he doesnt have that much contact with us but I dont want to step on the inlaws toes. I dont even know how to approach them about it. I dont know if hes neutured, but I know he hasnt had vaccines.

What do I do? I mean, vegatables wouldnt be an issue since the bearded eats a range of food and some of the veggies go to waste.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Could you just say that you are thinking of getting a rabbit and you wonder if they would consider letting you have theirs? After all you reakon they didnt really want it in the first place and they are allergic. You may be doing them a favour. No harm in asking.

It would be so wonderful for the poor little soul to have a bigger space and a friend.

I do hope they say yes.

Well we live with them at the moment, long story, but I've looked on gumtree for cheap hutches. Found one that is 5ft and looks massive, with a run underneath. So hopefully they say yes and we get him a new hutch. Hes quite an older rabbit so I was thinking of a very young male so he can I suppose dominate him. I dont know I've always had sister rabbit or just males on their own.

If he is not neutered then he would quite possibly tear another male to shreads. You would be better trying to get him, get him neutered, then pair him up with a spayed female, there are loads of rescues that would help you with the bonding part.

I would try to get him 1st, then you can plan the next stages. Well done for trying to help him x

Thank you. I would be quite worried neutering him because I know hes a really old rabbit

Thank you. I would be quite worried neutering him because I know hes a really old rabbit

How old is he? As has been mentioned above, neutering him should not be an issue if carried out by a rabbit savvy vet who knows what they're doing. Neutering is a far less invasive operation than spaying and he will be much calmer and happier afterwards.

Get him to a rabbit savvy vet they will confirm if he's ok to be done x

How old is he? As has been mentioned above, neutering him should not be an issue if carried out by a rabbit savvy vet who knows what they're doing. Neutering is a far less invasive operation than spaying and he will be much calmer and happier afterwards.

Thank you :)!

Back