• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think one of our kits is badly hurt. U/D P30 Feb 21st

Whitelighter

Warren Scout
And I don't know what to do.

It just isn't lively and is sitting still but it looks funny on its legs.
I picked it up and all four legs are moving but the rear right leg seems weak and the right front seems to be sticking out at a splayed angle.

He can move. When I placed him on a carpet he scrabbled back into the dog crate base but he's not hopping like the siblings, plus it seems a little unstable.

I did get a video but it's very short and I'm not sure how to upload it.

With a 3 week old kit can a vet do anything, of am I just going to spend £30 to be told to PTS?

Last edited:
If it is splay leg then he doesn't necessarily need to be put to sleep. It depends how badly it is affecting him but we have cared for many splay leg rabbits.

Unfortunately they do tend to have shortened life span. Ours all lived between 18 months to two years x

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Was it previously hopping okay? Rabbit's can have skeletal abnormalities like splayed legs etc.

I would guess at that age the vet could take an xray to see what was going on with the bones, but other than a painkiller if it was a break not much they can practically do, so it would be painkiller/wait and see if it fixes itself or PTS to avoid suffering.

Hi,

It was fine. Hopping, bunny 500s and even binkies but now he's just sitting. He'll move if I put him outside the cage or nest but other than that he just hides in the corner with its eyes closed or very slightly open

In that case it sounds more like an injury and he is in pain. I would get him to a vet asap. Even if he can't be fixed he can't be left in pain

poor little bun. :( does sound like he/she is in pain. :( can you ring the vets for advice and arrange to take bunny in? keep us updated x

Yep sounds like an injury as he was okay before. He definitely needs to see the vet, as his behaviour suggests he is in pain.

Good luck at the vets!

Looks like the right back leg js immobile.

Gonna call the vet but I think it's out of hours now.

It definitely sounds as though this poor little one needs to see a vet tonight. If you ring your vet there will be a message telling you who to contact.

Spoken to the vet.

It is eating and doesn't seem in pain so she has agreed it's not worth rushing it down tonight.

She wasn't sure at 3 weeks much could be done. It can move, and seems content. I have felt the leg and can't feel a break though there is no resistance to me moving it either. Vet holes it might be a bad sprain but we'll know later in the week. We have agreed to review tomorrow and the vet will see it if required.

Blooming rabbits. I don't know how this has happened :(

Spoken to the vet.

It is eating and doesn't seem in pain so she has agreed it's not worth rushing it down tonight.

She wasn't sure at 3 weeks much could be done. It can move, and seems content. I have felt the leg and can't feel a break though there is no resistance to me moving it either. Vet holes it might be a bad sprain but we'll know later in the week. We have agreed to review tomorrow and the vet will see it if required.

Blooming rabbits. I don't know how this has happened :(

Surely he'll be in pain if it is a sprain?

Last edited:
I would say to go with your initial feeling of something isn't right and take the baby to the vets, but not that vet :wave:

Vet said it is too young for pain killers - I have some loxicom but the vet said it was risky.

Gill is a brilliant rabbit vet and I trust her advice having had a 20 minute phone call with her.

I hope baby has a reasonably comfortable night and it goes well tomorrow morning

I would say to go with your initial feeling of something isn't right and take the baby to the vets, but not that vet :wave:

I would trust my vet with any of my rabbits. Many on here recommended her and they were right to do so. It is likely to be a stressful car journey for little reason having had a long chat over the phone.

I agree

Metacam cannot be given to dogs under 6 weeks so would not want to give to a baby bun. Maybe a heatpad would help?

I agree

Metacam cannot be given to dogs under 6 weeks so would not want to give to a baby bun. Maybe a heatpad would help?

Ooh good idea.

Going to bung it in now and put it in the nest igloo.
I hope he suckles, if it'll eat I think it has a chance as it can move well enough, just using three legs.

Ooh good idea.

Going to bung it in now and put it in the nest igloo.
I hope he suckles, if it'll eat I think it has a chance as it can move well enough, just using three legs.

If you have any problems try turning mum upside down and placing little one on her stomach - he should be able to latch on from that position.

How old is he? - just seen 3 weeks - if necessary could be hand reared from here on.

I guess.

I have tried putting it on mum but he just licked her, dudnt go for a nipple. But then Poppy was struggling a bit too so not that natural.

I'm starting to feel badly about this :( poor little begger

Back