• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Metacam question......how long does it keep for?

Kermit

Wise Old Thumper
As title, once opened, how long does a bottle of Metacam keep for? It has been opened, used for a day or so, then put in a dark drawer.....that was a few months ago, is it ready for the bin now?

I don't know, I've never used any over 6 months old just in case it wasn't as effective.

I'd guess that it would gradually deteriorate and become less effective over time, rather than just stop working, but I don't know for sure.

I assume you mean that it is still in the manufacturer's bottle and not in one provided by the Vet ?

If its a 32ml bottle then it should be the original bottle :)

I have no idea that happens after 6 months as we use a 180ml bottle every few weeks! Personally I would not use it after 6 months x

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

6 months for the big cat bottles and the dog bottles. It is less for the small cat bottles though, can't remember how long but I remember it being much less.

I have used a bottle that had been open for about 7-8 months (fridged) and it seemed to work OK - on the animal it was originally supplied for and for the same condition. I got a new bottle ASAP, though as I wasn't keen on relying on it. You don't know if it deteriorates to anything that can do more harm or has been contaminated, rather than it just being less effective. I wouldn't be too worried if it was a week over - but you should be seeing the vet again if you think it is needed. Ours has big notices up that animals must be seen every 6 months for repeat prescriptions.

My vet told me that if I have some that's out of date and the animal is in pain then it's good to give them some immediately and then go to the vet, so I wouldn't worry about using it - but still get them to the vet to have them checked out.

Thanks guys.

Yip, original bottle. Seems madness that it can be in the bottle ok until 2015, but then if it is opened and used then that is it. But I agree that it is risky to use it.

I don't need it, but was just wondering cos it is just sitting there.

Back