• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can I mix Baytril with something?

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
Strawbs will take Metacam straight from the syringe if I poke it through the bars of his run but he doesn't like the taste of Baytril.

To avoid the chase, catching and then stressful forcing it into his mouth can I mix it with a dash of pineapple juice which he loves?

My vet told me that I could mix baytril with water or Ribena etc. I have put it on basil leaves and all sorts to try to disguise it.

I'd try it to see if it works for him x

I put mine inside a hollowed out bit of banana. They don't have banana often so think it's a treat not realising the meds are inside :lol:. The things we do to get med's inside them.

I put mine inside a hollowed out bit of banana. They don't have banana often so think it's a treat not realising the meds are inside :lol:. The things we do to get med's inside them.

:thumb:

Sheldon thought all his Christmas's had come at once - getting banana TWICE a day no less - little did the imp know that we were giving him medicine.

As Mary Poppin says - "a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down" :D

I mix it with apple juice so I'm sure pineapple juice would be fine. However mixing it with juice doesn't seem to make it yummy - just tolerable, so you might still find he won't take it straight from the syringe. I wish you could mix it with metacam as metacam seems to be like sweets for my two!

Apple is on baytril and metacam at the moment so I give her the baytril first and the metacam straight after (hope there is no reason why I shouldn't be doing that). She seems OK with that. If I just have to give baytril, I mix it with a small amount of Ribena (or supermarked own brand equivalent).

I put some drops of sugar free squash in. Remember to measure the dose before you push the squash in though

I mix with strong juices - pineapple should be good but if not carrot is always a winner here. Make sure they are pure juices (not 'juice drinks') with nothing added and not a 'no added sugar' type, as they contain sweeteners etc which aren't good.

Failing that, I have found that Critical Care masks the taste of any medication. Toast is a less healthy alternative but that can work too, but make sure you don't burn the toast as you don't want to feed carbon with meds. I've also used weetabix and oats, as they absorb the meds quickly.

Well I have tried everything and Strawbs is now on hunger strike refusing to eat anything at all other than grass!

Am going to have to get hubbie to pick him up and put it directly into his mouth when he is home from work but I wanted to avoid this as he hates being picked up.

Mine always, always take meds in mashed banana. It's very rarely refused! Are you splitting the dose now? They are more likely to take it if you split it, as there isn't as much all in one go :wave:

Mine always, always take meds in mashed banana. It's very rarely refused! Are you splitting the dose now? They are more likely to take it if you split it, as there isn't as much all in one go :wave:

He is refusing to eat banana at the minute as e knows I am trying to hide something!

He only wants grass and he doesn't want me to pick it for him- he wants to eat it direct from the garden.

Clever Strawberry!!!

Mine lapped up ellas kitchen baby food with baytril mixed in (they had rather a lot to get the dose they need but it worked a treat).

Just given some to the guinea pigs. Little blobs of baby food on a flat stone. They look so cute licking it all up x

Back