• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone used video baby monitors?

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
Hi, I'm thinking about getting a video baby monitor so I can set it up in the shed during bonding. Just wondering if anyone else had used one to watch their rabbits, if it was effective, could you see the whole shed/room if placed high up in a corner? I would get an IP camera but don't have wifi at home and am also considering cctv at some point but not just yet so for now and a quick solution, a video baby monitor seems a good idea. I have an outdoor extension reel that I could use so electricity isn't a prob.

Ive not used them for rabbits or in a shed but do have one for my son.

You would need a "pan and tilt" feature - some have a fixed camera so you can only view a set position, this would miss some of the corners of the shed.

You'd also want a large screen (some have teeny weeny ones and you wont see anything on them).

But yeah as long as you get a pan and tilt one with a large-ish screen it should be ok. Night vision is pretty good too.

The only other thing to be aware of is distance the signal can travel over - they will say, for example 100m but this is through open air, house walls etc will reduce this, so be aware that depending on where their shed is you may not get signal all over the house (for example i can get a signal from my sons one all over house and in garden, including all around the garage BUT if i go IN the garage it cuts out because of the combination of distance and the extra wall)

Thanks for that :thumb: I suppose as long as I can see most of the shed I would know if anything bad was happening at least! If all is quiet and calm it doesn't matter if I can't see everything! I did wonder about the distance/walls. The shed is at the end of the garden, not massive but a good few metres away from the house and the lounge is on the opposite side of the house, as is my bedroom if I took the monitor to bed with me. I just know that when I bonded my pair last year and I left them in hutch together at first, I was so anxious when I came back inside, I was bobbing up and down every 2 mins to look out! With all 4 going in the shed together I'm going to be majorly anxious! I will of course sit in with them to begin with but I do think they do better with humans out of the way. But because it's a shed, I won't be able to just look out of the window and see them! I suppose I could leave the shed door open if it's a fine day and I fix a mesh door up... Can u tell I'm getting anxious already?! :lol:

Hiya, I also use one in my childrens rooms and recommend the make 'summer infant' our monitor can add up to 4 cameras and currently flicks between the kids rooms. It's got a zoom and talkback feature (you could sing buns to sleep lol) and is very good sound and distance quality. Mine works in the other end of my garden when my daughters in bed sleeping. Hope that helps xx

Oh and the cameras are up in the corner of the rooms facing down so we see the whole room and kids xx

Hiya, I also use one in my childrens rooms and recommend the make 'summer infant' our monitor can add up to 4 cameras and currently flicks between the kids rooms. It's got a zoom and talkback feature (you could sing buns to sleep lol) and is very good sound and distance quality. Mine works in the other end of my garden when my daughters in bed sleeping. Hope that helps xx

Oh and the cameras are up in the corner of the rooms facing down so we see the whole room and kids xx

Brilliant thanks for that :thumb: it's hard to choose when u start reading all the details and reviews! It might seem a bit over the top but if I'm ever blessed with a child I will 100% want a video monitor so it's an investment :lol:

thats the one ive got - i was trying to remember what it was called when i was posting but couldnt think! I think its a good one.

thats the one ive got - i was trying to remember what it was called when i was posting but couldnt think! I think its a good one.

Thanks :wave: think I'm going to order a top of the range touch screen one now! I can get it from my very catalogue and pay over 3 months interest free :thumb:

Haha :) not over the top, like you say, investment or at least use that line if your mum says anything xx

:lol: I told her I was thinking of getting one as she knows I've been thinking about cctv, I just don't think she'll have expected me to spend so much :shock: It will be worth it to be able to watch them constantly tho without getting involved (unless needed) and it'll be one less expense when I do have a child, which I'm sure I'll appreciate greatly when that time comes :lol:

Back