• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Another spaying post!

Supershelleyb

Young Bun
There's been a few posts re spaying lately but I today booked my girl in to be done next Wednesday.

Some may remember from a post I did about getting the rabbits from a breeder that didn't want me to neuter for cancer reasons, anyway we planned to, but today she has been chasing and jumping the buck. He's been spayed and even tried to give her one too! It was as soon as the sun come out! There was even a little lump of his fur so booked her in ASAP.

Anyway back to what I was asking...
I am going to keep her in my cold porch after the op. I don't want them to go long without seeing each other so was wondering can I a. Take her out in her indoor cage and sit it next to his run so they can see each other (just for 15 mins or so) or would this be bad re the temperature thing or would it be ok as short period and not overnight? Or b. is she ok for me to get out and sit with them together in the kitchen?

Is gluing the best to ask for rather than stitches?

Read your posts saying get pain relief so will do.

And the main thing. I have been asked to provide a lunch box of things she would love to eat. She's on redigrass and meadow hay but it doesn't drive her wild. She loves carrots although I haven't fed her any as know sugary (breeder told me she loves) so would it be a good idea to cut up some small bits?
Are there any herbs or pet shop mixes she won't be able to resist eating? As I will go and get some ASAP. Should I include some pellets in her lunch or is it just mainly hay I need to get her eating after the op?

Really scared as she's 2.5 but the vet said its fine to still do at her age.

Is there anything else I can do or get to help or speed up recovery?

Thanks x

My Vet always likes to try to keep bonded Rabbits together and I have found this to be by far the best thing. But I know some Vets disagree with this and insist that the Rabbits must be separated. I just find that the stress of separation causing more problems for the Rabbit having surgery.

Post op' pain relief is essential . A Doe is likely to require it for at least 3 days

Closure of the wound is usually done with internal sutures and glue

The 'packed lunch' you provide could contain a small amount of carrot if she has had it before. But I would prefer to offer her some fresh herbs, coriander is often very popular, along with her usual hay. A few pellets could be included, but she may not eat them. Pellets are often refused for the first 24-36 hours after a spay.

Rabbits tend to drink more from a bowl than a sipper bottle so offer her a bowl of water. A good fluid intake will help her recovery

She should be eating, even if not her usual amount, and pooing/weeing within 12 hours of surgery.

The surgical wound will need checking twice a day. It should look clean and dry. The closed skin may look a bit pinker than usual, but it should not be 'angry red' looking or feel very warm to the touch. It should remain smooth not 'lumpy'. She will need to be kept confined for about 5-6 days to allow internal healing. She can have a brief hop about to stretch her legs and help keep her gut motility going, but only if you are supervising her and she does not jump up onto or over things. Providing her with some chewable toys will help alleviate her boredom whilst she is more confined than normal.

A healthy 2.5 year old Doe should cope fine with a spay. I'd ask the Vet to check her teeth and in her ears whilst under GA. The ear check being especially important if your Doe is a Lop. It is surprising how many Lops are found to have pus in their ear canals despite showing no clinical symptoms at all.

Hope all goes well for her xx

Thank you so much for that long and informative reply! I will def ask about the teeth and ears and get the pain relief etc. I feel more prepaird and will update once she's had it done :)

Xx

My bun was spayed on Monday!

I sent Poppy with a carrier bag full of a variety of different foods (looked a little like a nutter but I decided id rather send her with more than not enough!) however the vet decided Poppy was so stressed out being in the vets that it was best to get her home asap (I collected her at 1.30!) so she could relax more! I would suggested getting your bun used to some herbs this week before she goes. That has been the winner with Pop's fresh and dried! she hasn't touched hay or pellets yet but is eating loads of herbs and treats! I guess they're like us really when they're poorly they just want yummy foods!

Def insisted on getting pain relief when you pick you bun up, I asked and they said see how she goes and we can prescribe if she needs. She obviously did need yesterday and I then had to do the hour round trip to go and pick it up which I didn't mind but it would have been much easier to just have it!

I cant help about what to do with your bond as Poppy is a single bun.

Hope it all goes well for you, keep us posted on how she gets on :)

Back