• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weight of a lionhead

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
Strawbs has always been a chunk of a bun and we managed to weigh him today- he is 3.5kg!!!

Snowdrop was always bigger than Strawbs but she was only 2.3kg. I was worried he is over weight but the vet says he feels fine, he is just solid!

Anyone else have a lionhead that weighs similar? I thought they were supposed to be small buns!

Strawbs has always been a chunk of a bun and we managed to weigh him today- he is 3.5kg!!!

Snowdrop was always bigger than Strawbs but she was only 2.3kg. I was worried he is over weight but the vet says he feels fine, he is just solid!

Anyone else have a lion head that weighs similar? I thought they were supposed to be small buns!

The breed standard for pure bred Lion heads is about 1.5kg - Harley weighed about 1.8kgs the last time she was at the vets in October last year and she is a bit porky - but I prefer that as 1.5kg is way to skinny in my opinion. However - Bobo is lion head x who-knows-what weighed in at 3.84kgs - as the vet said, he is a bit of a lump:love:. Not fat really just a chunky bun:D. So I think it depends on what other breed is in your lion heads as to what they might weigh. :thumb:

The breed standard for pure bred Lion heads is about 1.5kg - Harley weighed about 1.8kgs the last time she was at the vets in October last year and she is a bit porky - but I prefer that as 1.5kg is way to skinny in my opinion. However - Bobo is lion head x who-knows-what weighed in at 3.84kgs - as the vet said, he is a bit of a lump:love:. Not fat really just a chunky bun:D. So I think it depends on what other breed is in your lion heads as to what they might weigh. :thumb:

Thanks. No ideas what else Strawbs is crossed with!

Here is the handsome fella...

I have quite a few lionhead crosses.

Brownie is a small solid compact type. He's 2kg on the dot.
Buster is long and slim. He's 2.6 kg
Holly is my dinky dot. She's very small at 1.5 kg.

My Levi who is a mini lion lop was 2.2kg the last time I weighed him. I keep threatening to put him on a diet :p

So how can Strawbs be 3.5kg! It's huge for such a small breed.

It does sound huge, but he doesn't look fat at all. If Beau grew to that weight he would look fat. Strawbs must be bigger in the body maybe? Maybe he has heavy bones? The vet would have told you if they were worried.

Betty and walter are both lion head crosses. Walt is the Larger of them and is 1.9kg Betty is smaller but fat at 2 on the dot (she has nethie or lop in her).

Vet suggested she have a bunny diet. :oops: So she has been on a strict no treats diet. Im sure she thinks shes done something wrong. :(

I always worried that Ig was fat but the vet told us 4kg was about right. He was a cross but i think had some giant or hare in him somewhere.

Maybe your bunny is just crossed with something huge? If the vet isnt worried then i wouldnt be. :D

It does sound huge, but he doesn't look fat at all. If Beau grew to that weight he would look fat. Strawbs must be bigger in the body maybe? Maybe he has heavy bones? The vet would have told you if they were worried.

The vet said he wasn't fat at all, just very solid and muscular!

He is smaller in body length than Snowdrop was but weighs a whole kilo more!

Aw Strawbs is a gorgeous boy :love: He is probably crossed with a large breed somewhere down the line. The lion head gene is a dominant gene so even if you just have a bit of lion head in your rabbit - you are likely to see the mane around the head and most cases (but not all) the flanks.
Strawbs does have those lovely large ears too - which the pure bred lion heads don't - their ears are small little things (not allowed to be more than 3" long in show rabbits). So who knows.
Bobo we think is lion head x french lop - he has the ears that either flop or are up right and a definite dew-lap - and his chunky size indicates that too.
I guess though that without testing the genes etc - we will never really know. And after - lionheads themselves are a mix of breeds - I believe they came about from mixing a long coated dwarf rabbit, a miniture Swiss Fox and a Belgiun dwarf - no wonder my Harley looks like a 'what the hell is that?' (usual comment from people who've never met her before :lol:)

My lion head x lop is 2.3kg. I was going to put him on a diet but now I've read this thread seems he isn't that much of a chunky monkey! My other was a small mini lop and she was 1.6kg so you can imagine my face when he got on the scales!
There's a site somewhere that you can see if your bun is overweight or not by feeling bones etc. I think if your bun is active regularly and seems healthy then all is ok :)

I'm pretty sure my Nahla is only between about 1.5-1.7kg, but she's always been lean and she's a petite little thing. My Benji who was a lion head cross was only about 1.2kg, but he was crossed with a Nethie :)

Our lionhead is about 1.8kg but we were told she would probably get a lot bigger than she has so I don't know if they maybe thought she was crossed with something chunkier? Our Gus is a right little sumo-wrestler of a bun. He was like that when we rehomed him, we took him to the vets to check all was ok and she said he's not overweight he's just a bit of a chunky monkey!

Back