• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thinking of homing two from an accidental litter....

Athena

Young Bun
I had planned to wait til next year to get buns...

But someone has just pointed me in the direction of two 9wk old babies that were born from a mis sexing. The parents are being sorted and will continue to live together and were not intentionally bred. The babies are being advertised as free to a good home. So ethically im happy with all this assuming its true, obviously a visit to their set up will tell me more. I have experience with BYBs from my rat rescue and Im quite confident I can spot them.

The seller does not know the sex of the babies, insinuating they have not seen a vet yet, so I have a few questions. I know I can google, and I will be, but id also like to have everything here in one place if that makes sense. Please dont think I wont be doing my homework!

so... what age do rabbits become fertile?

would it be too traumatic for them to visit a vets on their journey back from the house they were born in? or more traumatic to uproot them once they have started to settle?

If one is male and one female, whats the earliest they can be neutered? Obviously id have to be prepared to keep them separate until one had been done

Say I collected them this week, in two weeks im away for a long weekend, my mum will be staying so they would not be left alone, but is me going away when they are still new to the house likely to upset them at all?

and lastly, what variety would you say they are? (only important so i can get an idea on what size they may grow to be!)

rabbits_zps91564a46.jpg

Also if there is anything I have overlooked please do point it out to me!

Back