• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Born without a uterus

Aliswan

Warren Scout
Hi it's been a very long time since I was on here but I really need to advice.

My 8 month old lionhead Molly went in for her spay today, I've waited extra time because she is tiny 1.1kg. The vet rang me a short while ago to tell me he had just finished the surgery as it was quite difficult so she was under GA longer than expected. He told me she has an abnormal reproductive system, she had 2 minuscule ovaries and no visible uterus. He did identify some short "thread like" tubes near her bladder which he thought might have been the beginnings of the forming of her uterus before birth. He removed the ovaries but had to leave the little tubes as they were touching her bladder.

He said she may be at greater risk of infection due to these tubes and that he's keeping her in till as late as possible/possibly overnight and wants to see her in 24hours.

My question is has anyone experienced this before? Is there anything I should/shouldn't do? When can she go back in with Murphy (her partner)? Is there anything I should be on the look out for in the future?

Thanks

That's very odd but mustn't have caused any pain before the operation. .
I haven't got any advice I'm afraid but didn't want to read and run.
Best of luck and I hope she feels better soon x

I took my Maisy in for her spay at about 5 months and the vet said a very similar thing to me. He thought she was just a lot younger than I was told she was and that it hadn't formed properly. He said how she had these 'thread like' almost like and elastic band looking thing which he thought was the uterus that just hasn't formed.
He did say however that he took out everything he could find so I don't think he left anything in so that is slightly different.
M bun is just coming up to a year old and I haven't had any problems. She took a little bit longer to recover from the op because of being under longer and having had a larger incision but all seems fine now.

:shock: I've never heard of it before sorry :? Bunnies can he odd some times! I may have a hermaphrodite. Hope she's ok anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had a rabbit with an undeveloped uterus. The vet did manage to remove it but unfortunately it was so invasive it caused surgical adhesions and we lost her :( so it is probably best that your vet left it :)

There is a blood test available that will show if there is any uterine tissue which might be helpful at a later date if the vet is not sure whether or not that was a uterus. Obviously if any tissue is left then there is the risk of cancer later.

But for now I hope she recovers well and has a lovely long life with her companion x

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

How on earth did you find that out? What does it mean for your bun?!

Well we don't know for sure, but the vets can't decide whether he's a boy or a girl. The breeder I got him from had trouble too, he was inspected several times apparently before they said he was a boy. I only heard about it when I took him & his brother in for the snip at 4 months old. Blueberry went ahead but the vet told me to come back in a week to spay Badger! :shock: so I did and he was seen by another vet who said he was a boy! They advised to bring him back when he's put some more weight on as he's smaller than Blueberry (they're mini lion lops so not huge bunnies anywYs!) another vet had a look at him & said he could be a hermaphrodite. He's super floofy as well which makes life difficult - Blueberry lost his floofy fur, he's just long haired with a mane now he's older (7.5 months now). I can only tell if a bunny is a boy is if they have huge plums or the little worm pops out when they get over excited. But I can't see with Badger as he's floofy and he never gets excited or has ever tried humping so I don't know :?

He's the only bunny I've not had done as I'm a bit bothered about taking him back and them opening him up for a look and going "he's a ....... Wrong location! Sew him up and cut open the other area"

I'd never heard of a hermaphrodite until then so I don't really know how you go about neutering/spaying one :?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had two similar cases. Josie was a hermaphrodite, no reproductive organs at all and I think some of her guts were deformed. Chess was born with a deformed leg and they only found an ovary when she was spayed. She passed away under GA the following year, but during the post mortem the vet found a tiny uterus hidden away.

With Josie's attempted spay they did a lot of digging around in there to be sure there was no uterus, so it took her a long time and lots of pain relief for her to recover when she came home. So it could take Molly a bit longer to recover than a normal spay, and she'll definitely need pain relief to take home.

Sending lots of vibes for Molly xx

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm glad she's not the only one whose been that way. She's home now the vet said she'd had a little nibble but not much. I've offered her everything she likes but she's not interested. It's been 6 hours since her surgery. Can anyone recommend when I should start to syringe feed her the gut stimulant I was given? Also should I take her to the emergency vet if there is no improvement? How long should I wait?

Sorry for all the questions I just want her better.

Last edited:
just to say I have had this and, without wishing to alarm, it can be linked to other internal abnormalities - our Sage had the same and had a lot of other issues as well. It is something I would mention to any vet treating her in future - especially for GAs.

On the other hand maybe she was younger than you thought? or maybe had some giant genes in her? Giants develop late often and their uterus can be just threads until they are 8-9 months.

just to say I have had this and, without wishing to alarm, it can be linked to other internal abnorand malities - our Sage had the same and had a lot of other issues as well. It is something I would mention to any vet treating her in future - especially for GAs.

On the other hand maybe she was younger than you thought? or maybe had some giant genes in her? Giants develop late often and their uterus can be just threads until they are 8-9 months.

I am worried about that being the case. Unfortunately i know she's 8 months old she was born in a rescue i got her at 8 weeks and held off getting her spayed in the hope she would grow a bit more first.

Back