• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Toilet training a long haired rabbit!

Freakinfreak

Alpha Buck
Hello all, not sure if many of you saw my into post, here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?415026-New-bunny-Mummy!
Have a look to meet Neo the lionhead :)

Anyway, I'm trying to toilet train him and I have a couple of questions...

1. The hutch is not huge, but big enough for the time he is in it, however putting a litter tray in, even a corner one will be taking up a lot of room and I'm worried that if he wants to have a bit of a bounce around, he'll not be able to. I was considering ordering this but I'm not sure if he'll like it as it's high but the reviews looked good - opinions? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ferplast-93247899-Rabbit-Toilet/dp/B005ZAJR72/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

2. Should I be moving his poop/wet bedding into one corner constantly?

3. He's not yet been 'done' and I've been told that once they have been, they stop peeing and pooing everywhere - should I enforce toilet training now or wait until he's been done?

4. Can you give me any more suggestions? He pees in 3 corners, poos mostly in 2 corners and the occasional one here and there. I can't put litter boxes in 3 corners or there will be no more room for him!!!

Sorry for these questions, I know that they have probably been answered but it's always nice to get other points of view.

Thanks! :D

Edit:
I've just realised my post makes it seem like he's cooped up - he isn't!
We get him out at 6.30am and then put him away at about 8am for us to go to work, then he's out again 6pm-11pm :)
I'd like to leave him out during the day but we can't rabbit proof the room at all - trust me, it's not going to be possible :(

Last edited:
Rabbit proofing a whole room can be tricky. I sympathise.

Could you get a puppy pen with his cage inside it as a base (you will need one tall enough to be safe, they can jump incredibly high)? That way he could still have a hop about especially at night which is their active time.

My lot have underbed storage boxes as litter trays with newspaper and hay in them and spend time sitting happily in them to eat. They like to rest on top of their little hutch (inside the shed). Perhaps he would be ok to have a bigger tray, others may have experience with smaller trays working well.

Cant remember if I mentioned it before (in the post with the lovely picture of Neo) but the indoor housing sticky on here is inspirational ooo talking of inspirational, that fat fluffs link I posted with the safe foods also has a gallery section with loads of really great housing ideas and one with cute rabbits (none cuter than Neo though).

Hi Neo is very cute :)

I've had 2 indoor bunnies for a month now. I had one of the litter trays you've linked and it wasn't big enough to fit two rabbits in, obviously you've only got one but being a boy I think he might pee over it! Also the side wasn't very high for two medium buns and I found they didn't bother to get in but leaned over the side instead! I've got a cat litter tray (not a hooded one) in their cage now which is under a hay feeder - rabbits poop while they eat - and they mostly go in there. I have a storage box as a litter tray as well for outside the cage. They are very good at using them. I'm not sure about training a non neutered bunny but I'm sure someone else can help with that.

I have a pen for when I am out which goes on to the cage. I put it up in the kitchen and take it down when I get home. It is a bit of a faff but really only takes 10 minutes a day and gives them a lot more space. I don't have enough room to put one up full time so that solves it. They free range when I am home.

Last edited:
Hello both, thank you for your replies, endless questions await RU!!! :roll:

We have ordered a 1.5m2 playpen which is 91cm tall (it's a puppy pen) I was given some good advice of getting some mesh and clothes pegging it over the top to prevent any escaping which means we can leave it up all day, even if we go out.

I think that when the pen goes up we will solve a lot of the problems as they all seem to relate to space.
The only thing I see being an issue is if he's used to certain things being in certain places (aka he only poos and eats in the pen - not the hutch) then I'm wondering what's going to happen if we need to confine him to the hutch for a period of time... do you think he'd get confused?

Back