• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying

StarryEyedGirl

Young Bun
Hi. I have 9 buns. 4 are rescues.

Ezri, Luna and blue as a trio.

Java and Loki as a duo.

Seska, Akasha and Reiko as a triple

Star alone inside until warmer weather as came from indoors, when she will be bonded with java and Loki.

Now I am getting them spayed. Akasha and Reiko are already spayed.
My question is do I get them done one by one and bring them in (no heating in that room) while healing? Or do I do each duo/group at a time and bring them in.

Also when it comes to the trio where only one needs neutering what would be the best way around that?

It's really bugging me because I want to do what's best but iv never spayed before.

Any help would be much appreciated x

I had my 2 girls done together, I'd do them in their groups and bring them in. The trio you've got where only one bun needs spaying, I'd take them all to the vets together so their bond should be ok, and keep them together. Hopefully someone more experienced than myself will answer too to confirm their thoughts :thumb: (they're the only buns I've had spayed, my others have arrived from rescue already done)

I would opt for the duo together and the group together, otherwise their bonds might be broken. If you do take the already spayed doe with the other 2, make sure the Vets know exactly which one has been spayed!

I would take them together as it would be better for the bonds rather than separating as they will come back smelling different from the vets. If you can then keep them in overnight to recover from the GA that would be great as they can't regulate their body temp well after GA x

Just had my two spayed today. They were kept together at the vets apart from recovery time but put back together as soon as both were awake. They are currently snuggled up with each other in their hutch but as this is my first spay I can only say from my own experience today.

I would get them spayed in the groups they are bonded with.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I'll get the trio done first then they can spend a couple nights in a dog cage in my bedroom before going out again. They're the most tempermental of them all as ezri has pulled fur and caused scabs on blue now. They're fine in the hutch but first 5 mins in run she attacks blue :/

Back