• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Elevated liver enzymes - any experience welcome xx

silverrabbit

Mama Doe
Haven't had much time for RU as have had poorly buns and guinea pigs :( Just a few questions really as Albie has been unwell and was in hospital for 4 days. He started off a month ago with weeing outside of the litter tray which is very unusual for him as in the 7 years I've had him he's always been tidy and clean. It was thought that he had a touch of arthritis (he is about 9) as he was a bit stiff, and so wasn't keen on hopping into the tray. He had metacam prescribed to see if it would help and he did seem more comfortable.

Albie then felt like he was losing weight and he has lost about 200g (going from 2.1 to 1.88), though most of that has been in the last 2 weeks. He was also drinking a lot and had a wet bottom, despite keeping his bedding clean and his bum washed and dried :( and so was started on Baytril in case of a uti and I also started panacur just in case (though he has never showed any signs and has "routine" treatment, though not every 3 months). He was just sitting in his urine and extremely quiet so he was admitted for xrays and bloods. He has had a bladder stone in the past but this was ruled out, and also had a blood glucose test which was normal. By this stage I am worried about kidney disease because his symptoms seem to fit, however bloods came back normal which is a relief.

The only thing that came back as abnormal was elevated liver enzymes, and they were quite high. They were repeated while he was inpatient and he is going back this week for another blood test. The vet said that there are several possibilities for these results, gave him a "Vit Bee" injection and said do see how he goes over the weekend and bring back if any probs, otherwise to be seen for bloods and check up. He was also to continue with Baytril as there were signs of infection.

Anyway, since coming back home Albie is completely dry, which is obviously excellent news :) He also has his appetite back as he had gone off his food a bit, and put on some weight!

I just wanted people's experiences of raised liver enzymes and how this was managed/what the cause was? I know stress can be a factor as Freckle had slightly raised levels when he had bloods done and was really stressed out, but Albie is so chilled and they were done twice during his stay.

Also, Albie needs a dental but as it's not urgent the vet wanted to wait until Albie is more himself as GA wouldn't be great for him atm. What are the risks with the liver problem + GA if Albie has to have a dental done sooner rather than later? He is very happily munching hay so hoping it won't be necessary yet.

Just realised how much I have waffled on :shock: sorry! Any advice would be gratefully received

They said that as his liver was not enlarged in xray it was unlikely? I have no experience of coccidiosis though so don't know how true this is :( would that be something that comes on out of the blue? He's had no health problems (apart from dental in the last year), not even stasis since i've had him

Thanks for your reply x

Liver enzymes can rise in rabbits who lose weight rapidly and who are in stasis the body starts breaking down muscle etc and deposits the waste in the liver causing I marked rise in the enzymes. Many ill rabbits will have a rise in the enzyme number however when the illness treated they can reduce. If the levels don't reduce the anaesthetic risk would be a little higher as the liver and kidneys are involved in excreting the anaesthetic but fluids before during and after the anaesthetic will help and your vet sounds quite savvy

Sent from my WM-8880-MID using Tapatalk

Is he still in metacam? This often causes raised liver enzymes.

Oh that's interesting, thanks! He isn't on it atm as vet wanted to see how he does without it, but was on it up to his discharge from hospital.

Liver enzymes can rise in rabbits who lose weight rapidly and who are in stasis the body starts breaking down muscle etc and deposits the waste in the liver causing I marked rise in the enzymes. Many ill rabbits will have a rise in the enzyme number however when the illness treated they can reduce. If the levels don't reduce the anaesthetic risk would be a little higher as the liver and kidneys are involved in excreting the anaesthetic but fluids before during and after the anaesthetic will help and your vet sounds quite savvy

Sent from my WM-8880-MID using Tapatalk

Thanks that's really good info :) he did have a reduced appetite before admission (though still doing nice poops as was munching hay), however now he is home he has a great appetite and has put on about 70g :)

Albie is also still dry which is great. Vets on thurs for repeat bloods so fingers crossed he is on the mend x

Back