• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First cecals

Kirotea

Mama Doe
Had my bunnies a month and I've just seen my first cecals. I'm not sure if they came from one or both bunnies. There was only about 2 and plenty of normal poos as well. They were both eating hay when I got back from work and are doing their usual mummy's home let's be crazy running around. I'm not really concerned therefore. I've emptied their litter tray so I can keep an eye on their poos for the rest of the evening just in case.

I've been introducing cauliflower leaves the last few days with no problems but yesterday I added a bit more (still only about a leaf and a half between 2) as the rocket I had was looking a bit limp! What I wondered therefore was whether you would now write off cauliflower leaves altogether or just only give them a little bit from now on?

Have you we tried spring greens? I only ever feed a small amount of cauliflower leaves - and only very occasionally, but find spring greens are fine.

I agree, don't worry too much over just seeing one for the first time. I wouldn't rule out the leaves completely, it's a new food so they may just need more time to get used to it. Stick the smaller amount they are fine with for now and if you want you can try upping it again in future.

Have you we tried spring greens? I only ever feed a small amount of cauliflower leaves - and only very occasionally, but find spring greens are fine.

What exactly are spring greens? :oops: I've not seen them anywhere to buy. I don't bother going to the supermarkets anymore and get my veggies from a green grocers in town and all my other shopping from in town at Home Bargains, Iceland and Aldi. It's my only exercise really apart from walking to work and it saves taking the car to the supermarket, plus I spend less as I can only buy what I can carry!

Spring greens are a sort of baby cabbage :)

Try chatting nicely to your green grocer and see what off cuts they have - you might they throw away/compost things like broccoli stalk, carrot tops etc.

They've been fine with everything else I've given them so far. They have tried and liked watercress, rocket, celery (chopped up), parsley, romaine lettuce and spinach although I understand now they aren't supposed to have much spinach so they don't get that often now. Plus the odd bit of carrot. They also tried basil but I found it was such a strong smell my house was smelling of it and I'm not that keen on it! I was trying to feed them things I would eat too and bits from the veg I eat (I don't like waste) so I might try broccoli next as I eat loads of that!

They sell carrots with tops at my green grocers but only in a bunch and I just couldn't eat 5 carrots in a week as I live alone! I could ask them about the bits and pieces like you said about though. I do go in there at least twice every week!

They've been fine with everything else I've given them so far. They have tried and liked watercress, rocket, celery (chopped up), parsley, romaine lettuce and spinach although I understand now they aren't supposed to have much spinach so they don't get that often now. Plus the odd bit of carrot. They also tried basil but I found it was such a strong smell my house was smelling of it and I'm not that keen on it! I was trying to feed them things I would eat too and bits from the veg I eat (I don't like waste) so I might try broccoli next as I eat loads of that!

They sell carrots with tops at my green grocers but only in a bunch and I just couldn't eat 5 carrots in a week as I live alone! I could ask them about the bits and pieces like you said about though. I do go in there at least twice every week!

Really? Perhaps I'm greedy - love all my veg. You could, perhaps, make soup with what you don't use.

I was trying to feed them things I would eat too and bits from the veg I eat (I don't like waste) so I might try broccoli next as I eat loads of that!

That's what we do - we hardly have any vegetable waste as Scamp eats virtually everything. About the only things that are thrown are potato skin and the stalks on peppers (the white fleshy bit in the middle of them is a fav of his). Things like carrot/parsnip peel, apple cores, cauli leaves, broccoli stalks, strawberry tops, kiwi skin etc. are all eaten. I top that up with forage for more leafiness so rarely buy anything specifically for him to eat.

That's what we do - we hardly have any vegetable waste as Scamp eats virtually everything. About the only things that are thrown are potato skin and the stalks on peppers (the white fleshy bit in the middle of them is a fav of his). Things like carrot/parsnip peel, apple cores, cauli leaves, broccoli stalks, strawberry tops, kiwi skin etc. are all eaten. I top that up with forage for more leafiness so rarely buy anything specifically for him to eat.

I buy bags of rocket especially for them but everything else we share :)

Back