• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spay went well, UD post 30

KatP

Alpha Buck
Just collected Fudge and Fidget from the vets after their spay this morning. Both flopped out in their hutch with a bowl of tasty treats to tempt them and both feeling very sorry for themselves. At least they both wanted a cuddle when they came out of the carrier so I hope I am forgiven.

Have been given a sachet of Rescue food incase we need it. Any tips on how to syringe feed just incase I have to use it?

Last edited:
sending fudge and fidget lots and lots of get well vibes :) you have just posted on my thread.....I think we're both in for a sleepless night worrying about our buns!

sending fudge and fidget lots and lots of get well vibes :) you have just posted on my thread.....I think we're both in for a sleepless night worrying about our buns!

I have the air bed already to go in case I need to sleep next to their hutch :lol: hope you don't worry too much and get some sleep :love:

Sending lots of recovery vibes :love: I didn't need to syringe feed so can't help with that, my girls ate pellets, fresh picked grass and readigrass first, they went off hay for a day or so, but soon went back to being hay eating monsters :thumb:

Help please, any advice?

One rabbit has eaten 3 basil leaves and 1 bit of carrot and the other bun hasn't eaten anything and is still very sleepy ( this rabbit was spayed first). Should I be worried? No poops and no water intake yet either.

They got home at 4.30, should they be doing more by now?

I was sent home with Recovery food, when should I use it? How long should I just leave them to get on with it? Getting really worried now :shock:

are they indoors? After a GA really they should be indoors as they cannot control their temperatures and can get hypothermic.

the warmth will also help with the pain as the pain killer wears off.

In my experience it can take a female bun about 24 hours to really come round from a neuter properly - but warmth and fluids and pain killer are essentials.

are they indoors? After a GA really they should be indoors as they cannot control their temperatures and can get hypothermic.

the warmth will also help with the pain as the pain killer wears off.

In my experience it can take a female bun about 24 hours to really come round from a neuter properly - but warmth and fluids and pain killer are essentials.

Yes they are indoors in a cool room as normally live outside. The pain relief given at the vets is meant to last 24 hrs but they aren't taking in any fluids :shock: I have been told if they are showing signs of pain, not weeing or pooing by the morning I am to take them back. I'm really wondering about the recovery food I was given, why was I given this? Only told to use if they weren't eating but not told how soon they should be eating.

Getting myself in a real panic now!

As you know I don't have experience of girl rabbits, but from what I have read on here it is not unusual for some to recover quicker from the spay operation than others. I would be concerned at the length of time one of your girls has now gone without eating or drinking. I don't know the answer to your question about timing, but recovery food is made up by adding water that would provide a little liquid as well as nourishment.

Keeping up vibes for your lovely buns. xx

I would try to syringe a little recovery food and/or offer some in a bowl and see if they pick up. You could also try offering Ella's kitchen or similar to see if that tempts her. Were you given pain relief to take home as well as the recovery?

Frosty (buck) was up and about within hours, his brother, Snowflake, took until the next morning until he began eating and drinking with any enthusiasm.

Does do take longer I believe. Also the ga makes them dopey and less interested in food.

I have never given recovery food but if she hasnt eaten and poo'd soon it may be worth making some up and giving it to her.

Very best of luck at this worrying time.

Just seen elmoandfern's post. Ellas kitchen baby food is great for tempting them. I found herbs (corriander, parsley, mint) to be good and bramble leaves.

Last edited:
Yes they are indoors in a cool room as normally live outside. The pain relief given at the vets is meant to last 24 hrs but they aren't taking in any fluids :shock: I have been told if they are showing signs of pain, not weeing or pooing by the morning I am to take them back. I'm really wondering about the recovery food I was given, why was I given this? Only told to use if they weren't eating but not told how soon they should be eating.

Getting myself in a real panic now!

Although it is quite a time it is not unusual for girl buns to not eat for a while after neuter - I find mine tend to start eating again by the next morning usually - if they have not then call the vet and ask for fluids etc.

I would not attempt recovery feed at present as if they are a bit zonked it would be very easy to end up doing more harm than good - especially if you are not that experienced with syringe feeding. They can easily aspirate the feed.

As you know I don't have experience of girl rabbits, but from what I have read on here it is not unusual for some to recover quicker from the spay operation than others. I would be concerned at the length of time one of your girls has now gone without eating or drinking. I don't know the answer to your question about timing, but recovery food is made up by adding water that would provide a little liquid as well as nourishment.

Keeping up vibes for your lovely buns. xx

Thanks for your reply Susie bun. One of the buns is drinking and nibbling at food the other nothing but I was told they would only send them home when they had both been seen eating and drinking so I am presuming that she has had water at some point today, plus she generally drinks overnight but it looks like a long night for me staying up with them!

I would try to syringe a little recovery food and/or offer some in a bowl and see if they pick up. You could also try offering Ella's kitchen or similar to see if that tempts her. Were you given pain relief to take home as well as the recovery?

No pain relief to bring home as told what they had today would last 24 hrs but ring in the morning if I want some and they will prescribe it then as they prefer the GA to wear off and would rather listen to the owner who knows the bun rather than just blanket prescribe.

Frosty (buck) was up and about within hours, his brother, Snowflake, took until the next morning until he began eating and drinking with any enthusiasm.

Does do take longer I believe. Also the ga makes them dopey and less interested in food.

I have never given recovery food but if she hasnt eaten and poo'd soon it may be worth making some up and giving it to her.

Very best of luck at this worrying time.

Just seen elmoandfern's post. Ellas kitchen baby food is great for tempting them. I found herbs (corriander, parsley, mint) to be good and bramble leaves.

Have been offering basil and bramble leaves as well as some mixed forage, carrot and usual food. Fudge is doing well and is starting to eat, has even been sniffing the hay ( in a bowl not on floor of hutch ) but Fidget still seems out of it although she has has a sip of water as I type this!

Although it is quite a time it is not unusual for girl buns to not eat for a while after neuter - I find mine tend to start eating again by the next morning usually - if they have not then call the vet and ask for fluids etc.

I would not attempt recovery feed at present as if they are a bit zonked it would be very easy to end up doing more harm than good - especially if you are not that experienced with syringe feeding. They can easily aspirate the feed.

Thanks, not going to attempt recovery food as I'm worried I will get it wrong and as you said They can aspirate the feed and I know the kinds of problems this can cause having had to tube feed new born lambs in my younger years

Back