• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Answers on a postcard please.... Rabbit related.

Supershelleyb

Young Bun
Morning all,

I keep randomly getting questions pop into my head and so I have been making a note and thought I would ask all in one go....hope you may have some answers for me. Sure you will :D

Litter Trays
1. If a rabbit has similar things in both the litter tray and bed how will they know the difference between the two? Should the litter tray for example only have hay in / above it and the bed only have straw?
2. What should I do if and when the rabbits go outside of their litter tray? How can I encourage them to use it?
3. Do I need one in the hutch and in the run also?
4. Should litter trays be emptied every day?

Thumping
1. I understand this means danger - if I hear thumping do I need to get out of bed and run down? Or could they thump due to a noise but not necessarily danger eg a fox? My hutch had locks and shutters and don't feel it could be anymore protected.

Cleaning
1. Whats the best product to clean the hutch? Or is any rabbit hutch cleaner ok?
2. Cleaning the rabbits - do I need to clean or wipe them over at all and if so whats best for this (can I use pure water baby wipes)? When we saw our white one she had fairly dirty feet - quite green but from running about on grass.

Thanks in advance xx

Morning all,

I keep randomly getting questions pop into my head and so I have been making a note and thought I would ask all in one go....hope you may have some answers for me. Sure you will :D

Litter Trays
1. If a rabbit has similar things in both the litter tray and bed how will they know the difference between the two? Should the litter tray for example only have hay in / above it and the bed only have straw?
I use wood shavings or paper based litter with a handful of hay on top straw is for bedding
2. What should I do if and when the rabbits go outside of their litter tray? How can I encourage them to use it?
gross but pick it up and put it in the tray if poops if they are weeping then I'm lost on that one :oops:
3. Do I need one in the hutch and in the run also? if you want but they will go back to hutch to poop it's quite cute to watch them play and shoot back in just to use the loo :lol:
4. Should litter trays be emptied every day?
varying thoughts on this ? Depends on how big tray is and how much they do I try to do mine every day but mostly it's every two your choice

Thumping
1. I understand this means danger - if I hear thumping do I need to get out of bed and run down? Or could they thump due to a noise but not necessarily danger eg a fox? My hutch had locks and shutters and don't feel it could be anymore protected. if you look a few times they might be thumping at each other ?

Cleaning
1. Whats the best product to clean the hutch? Or is any rabbit hutch cleaner ok? there are sprays and things in pet shops designed for hutches that should be rabbit safe I use one
2. Cleaning the rabbits - do I need to clean or wipe them over at all and if so whats best for this (can I use pure water baby wipes)? When we saw our white one she had fairly dirty feet - quite green but from running about on grass.
no they don't need to be cleaned they do it themselves even after digging holes a couple of days abd my white bunnies went from dirt coloured to white again :lol: feet will always be slightly tinged with something :D

Thanks in advance xx

Hope that helps others will have different ideas possibly :D

Thanks for that xx helps

Here's some pics of our new babies:

Leaving them alone to settle in but just had a quick stroke and weary but friendly xx

:shock: they are so cute I love lop faces they are gorgeous and they are lovely are we boys or girls and what are their names :D

This is my Stu looking Mucky post dig

And a couple days later not so mucky :roll::lol:

Last edited:
Boy is the silvery one and he's called Kanga and the girl is called Roo xxx

Stu looks very clean in the second pic! Proves one less job to do ;)

They look so sweet are they only young, you need to get him done ASAP or you will have babies or separate them but if he is done as soon as his plums are ready you might get away with leaving them together :?

Boys are mature at 12 weeks girls at about 5-6 months, I had my 2 babies done at just 12 weeks so didn't get any fighting either as they got hormonal :lol:

Mottle and Peaches are in a hutch and run. They have two litter trays in the hutch, 32litre underbed storage boxes. I put newspaper and hay in them. They only wee in them but will poo in other places as well.

They have straw and a litter tray in the bed area. The do sometimes wee/poo in the straw so I just clean it regularly as well.

I use lavender essential oil and tea tree essential oil to clean their trays. (With water).

Clean out the trays as often as you feel necessary.

I have never cleaned any of my rabbits.

I cant hear if they thump cos they are at the bottom of a very long garden (it was the most sheltered part, which I am very glad about after the recent storms).

Kanga and Roo look really sweet.

They look so sweet are they only young, you need to get him done ASAP or you will have babies or separate them but if he is done as soon as his plums are ready you might get away with leaving them together :?

Boys are mature at 12 weeks girls at about 5-6 months, I had my 2 babies done at just 12 weeks so didn't get any fighting either as they got hormonal :lol:

They are 2.5 years old and Kanga has already been neutered and Roo is due to be spayed in the next few weeks :)

Back