• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on my new indoor bunny

Hi everyone, I need some help, 2 days ago I bought a 16 week old male netherland dwarf, he has a large cage which is in the front room which has a second level in but most of the day he spends his time underneath the level in the sheltered hide bit, he dosent seem to mind being picked up and he sits with me and let's me stroke him for quite a while, she seems happy enough but when I let him run round the floor he explores for a bit then starts thumping his feet and leaping around, im a bit worried as I can't work out what can be scaring him, the tv wasn't loud and he must be used to it by now as he's been hearing it since he's been with us. Is it normal for him to stay in his bed all day? He comes out to eat (but only when no one's in the room) and I feel he would stay there 24/7 if I didn't get him out myself. Please help me on these 2 subjects! Thank you!

Last edited:
You've only had him two days, he won't be used to anything yet. He sounds scared, rabbits are prey animals so naturally timid and scared of new situations, and he may well only be letting you hold him and stroke him because he is scared (I have a rabbit that used to be like this). It is important that you let him settle in and let him explore in his own time - instead of getting him out of the cage, leave the door open with a ramp, and don't force him out.

Here is a link with good advice about bonding with your bunny:
http://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingwithyourbunny.htm

Hello. Your bun may need more than 2 days to settle in his new home. There are lots of new smells,sights and sounds to get used to. As well as you :D I would give him more time to settle before worrying too much

I had two buns who were house buns. The first had been born a house bun and she settled basically instantly. The second had only lived outside it took him nearly 2months to adjust to indoor noises (he didnt fully settle until neutered and bonded with the girl bunny) - even the washing machine /tumble dryer on in the opposite side of the house scared him at first - we humans couldnt hear it, but he could.

I second what a pp said about letting him come out of his own accord for free range time.

I've had my indoor bunnies for a month and they still occasionally will decide to stop talking to me for a few hours and I can't figure out what has upset them!

Personally I wouln't handle him at all for the time being, my housebun hates hates being handled but once picked up and only done for health reasons like claw clipping will go quiet but its a fear response. Sometimes he jumps onto my knee himself and will stay for a few seconds but thats his choice and he is not frightened.
Its very early days and it will take quite a time for him to get used to his surroundings. OUr housebun was scared of any sudden noise on the tv for weeks:roll:

Congratulations on your new rabbit.

As others have said he will probably need a while to settle in to his new home. You mention that he has a cage. Does it have a puppy pen round it so that he has 24/7 access to running space? Rabbits are especially active at night and often relax during the day.

There are some really inspiring set ups on the housing sticky on here.

Hope to see some pics of you little boy!

Welcome to the forum Those cages bought from shops are ok while they are a couple of months old but after that they are too small no matter how big they seem to be

Before I knew what size and space rabbits need I thought the big indoor cages were big but after learning i knew they weren't and I have seen the difference in rabbits when they are in those and when they are in the right size set ups. They can't do their natural behaviour in them ect...

Here is the rabbit welfare association and trust fund site with the accommodation size and information

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm

There in the housing section of this forum there is a guide for indoor set ups

And to answer your question give them time to settle let them come to you don't pick them up until they are settled rabbits don't like to be held or picked up so it should not really be done when you have to

Rabbits can be affectionate and come up to you for fusses and jump on your lap

The thumping and grunting could be because you picked them up or because they are nervous or because the are being grumpy or because they are excited or anything really

Back