• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed please

breeze

Mama Doe
Hi not been on for a long time but after some much needed advice.we have a 9mth old Rex who was rushed to emergency vets this morning.very lethargic white discharge coming from eyes and upset tum but not runny if makes sense.vet given antibiotic injection and pain relief and she seems to think he may have myxomatosis.weve got go back tomorrow to see if any change with him.does any have any advice?does his symptoms sound like he has this disease?were all upset especially my daughter as hes her baby

I have no first hand experience of dealing with myxomotosis, however I hope someone more experienced than me will be along soon to offer some good advice.

Meanwhile I hope that your bunny gets well very soon. xx

Sorry for late reply,been back vets and saw a different lady and straight away she said hes not a myxi bun! She looked straight in his mouth and saw the problem straight away.hes got really bad spurs which caused ulcers on his tongue.:( the vet yesterday didn't even look in his mouth and I feel awful for not even thinking it.hes always been a good hay eater,Is on excel pellets and fresh grass daily.hes in at 8am tomorrow for a dental to get rid of them.how quick or will they grow back? Hes on recovery until tomorrow and had more pain relief.is there anything I can change help him?i thought I was doing everything right

It isn't always a case of doing something right or wrong some rabbits unfortunately have a genetic predisposition to molar spurs getting him to eat as much hay and grass was you can will all help. Again as to how long between dentals that is individual as well we see some rabbits at work evert year and then there is rabbits like my late Dana who needed a dental every 4 weeks
How is he today?

Sent from my WM-8880-MID using Tapatalk

Hes not too bad,collected him at 5pm.he came round from anesthetic abit panicky but other than that he seems ok,hes munching away on hay and grass and hes eaten some pellets too.hes on antibiotics and pain relief and hes back in tomorrow for a check up.hoping they don't grow back as quick but prepared if do.hes such a loving boy.hell be booked in for neuter once recovered properly

It might be worth getting an xray whilst he's under for his neuter - that will give you a better idea what's going on with his teeth generally as they have really long roots which can cause trouble.

Give him some time to eat what he likes whilst he recovers and then you can think about adjusting his diet to increase wear. If he was already eating well it quite possible there is a genetic factor but sometimes you can increase the time between dentals by upping the hay and other tough foods as much as possible.

It might be worth getting an xray whilst he's under for his neuter - that will give you a better idea what's going on with his teeth generally as they have really long roots which can cause trouble.

Give him some time to eat what he likes whilst he recovers and then you can think about adjusting his diet to increase wear. If he was already eating well it quite possible there is a genetic factor but sometimes you can increase the time between dentals by upping the hay and other tough foods as much as possible.

This. I'd definitely ask for xrays, especially since he had discharge from his eyes. Elongated roots can cause blocked tear ducts and other problems, as well as being very painful.
It sounds like you have done everything "right". I had a bun that needed dentals every 6 weeks, but my current bun has them around every 8 months.

Sending him lots of recovery vibes.

Back