• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice: Spay tomorrow

KatP

Alpha Buck
My bunnies are being spayed tomorrow. They are two well bonded sisters. I have been reading loads of different threads but just wanted to make sure I have understood correctly.

As they are both being spayed tomorrow it should be fine to keep them together as long as I keep a close eye on them to check they aren't pulling at each other's stitches, and to monitor input and output from both rabbits.

I am going to send them with some of their usual hay, some Timothey hay, some foraged bramble leaves and some mixed forage I bought for them. This is all part of their usual diet. Will the vets think I am mad turning up with all this or should I just provide some of their usual food? I know it's really important to keep the gut working so thought that giving them a choice there must be something to tempt them?

On returning home I am hoping to keep them together. They have a 6x2x2 hutch with matching run underneath. Should I confine them to just one layer for the first couple of days and then let them have all the space? I am worried about them using the ramp?

It is my back up plan that if they do start to interfere with each other's stitches to keep one bun at the top and one at the bottom with the ramp shut up, would this work?

Also how long after the spay would it be okay for them to have some supervised free range time? And could this be together or would it have to be one at a time?

Sorry for all the questions but getting myself a bit worked up about tomorrow and just want to make sure I get everything right so that my bunnies get the best result possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

I don't have any experience of this to offer advice, but sending lots of vibes that all goes well for your girls. :wave:

The mixed buffet is a good idea :thumb: I had my 2 girls inside for I think a week following their spay, they can't regulate their temperature very well after an anaesthetic. I don't know if yours are outside normally? If you do bring them in from outside at this time of year it will be difficult to put them back outside until its warmer, unless you can have them in a room that's not too warm :?

I didn't allow mine ramp access until after about 2 weeks following the spay.

Make sure your vet gives you some pain relief for you to give them at home. I had hay in a rack and litter tray just with newspaper in so nothing stuck in their wounds. My 2 girls were done together and bounced back well, I got my vet to give subcutaneous fluids and a gut stimulant too.

Hope it all goes smoothly for you, and that you've got plenty to occupy your mind whilst they are away :thumb:

I'd be surprised if they have external stitches, mine have all had internal and glue. Yes I'd definitely keep them together, so if you can't bring them in (somewhere unheated so you can put them out again) I would make sure you check on them a lot. Don't leave the vet without pain relief for them. Yes the forage etc is great, my vet said she loved my buns' mixed salad! Pellets are often the last thing they start eating again anyway. Mine were all tempted with herbs initially, plus brambles and their favourite willow. As said, they can't regulate their temperature for a while after the op so it's a good idea to have a snugglesafe or two in with them.

Thanks for advice so far.

They are outdoor bunnies and so will be brought in. OH and I have decided on having no heating on while they are in ( house is pretty cold anyway as only have the heating on for an hour in the evening).

I know that they are getting a gut stimulant and subcutaneous fluids as I asked for a detailed quote and clear explanation before I booked them in. Just didn't think to ask if they would be stitched or glued. Vet said they would be sent home with Metacam for pain relief.

Zoobec if you don't let them use the ramp for 2 weeks do you give them free range time?

I had them just in the lower part of the hutch and run, I didn't want them catching themselves on the ramp itself that was all.

I had them just in the lower part of the hutch and run, I didn't want them catching themselves on the ramp itself that was all.

My problem is that the run area is sitting in water as is all of my garden at the moment due to the bad weather we have had and looks more like a mud bath than a garden :shock:

Aw, I'll be thinking of you and the bunnies tomorrow, it's such an anxious time, but they will be fine.

Roxy was indoors by the time we had her spayed and I was advised to confine her for ten days post op. She wasn't happy about that, I can tell you! She had internal stitches and was glued on the surface, so no stitches to be pulled. She did look funny with her shaved belly :)

Definitely don't come home without pain relief. I did, not knowing any better and had to go back to the vet the next day for some as the poor wee thing was tooth grinding.

It's going to be a long day for you tomorrow, keep busy xx

Excellent advice has already been given.:thumb: I hope that everything goes well tomorrow.

Best of luck bunnies. xxxx

Aw, I'll be thinking of you and the bunnies tomorrow, it's such an anxious time, but they will be fine.

Roxy was indoors by the time we had her spayed and I was advised to confine her for ten days post op. She wasn't happy about that, I can tell you! She had internal stitches and was glued on the surface, so no stitches to be pulled. She did look funny with her shaved belly :)

Definitely don't come home without pain relief. I did, not knowing any better and had to go back to the vet the next day for some as the poor wee thing was tooth grinding.

It's going to be a long day for you tomorrow, keep busy xx

Thanks Michelle, the nerves are already setting in :shock: I have made up bags of hay and various forage they like as well as some of their usual food. Have packed their favourite fleecy blankets and will put some carrot in tomorrow as a special treat. Hope I have thought of everything!

Back