• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is this sorehocks?? Help

SteveTheRabbit

Young Bun
My rabbit Steve has red patches on both his back foot heels. I'm quite sure it's sorehocks. They're tiny red circles with a white crusty residue on top which I'm not sure if that means it's cracking. How do I treat it? I heard sudo cream can make it worse. He already lives in a 12x8 foot shed with his girlfriend and it's covered in fleeces. Where there isn't a fleece by door I've put a thick dog crate bed as both my buns love sleeping by the door in fresh air(I have a mesh door inside so the door is always open)

If it makes a difference, he's a Rex. Please help!
I have no idea how to post pictures, but I do have one. Thanks!

Thankyou! I think i know how..:lol:
photo3_zpsea3f22b1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

From the one image that is showing it looks as though there is some signs of dry/cracked skin. Most Rabbits do have a normal thickening of the skin in that area, but the skin should not be broken

Are the toe nails always kept trimmed short ? Can you use soft deep hay as a substrate rather than fleeces. Rexes who show any signs of developing sore hocks always do much better on soft hay than on any type of fabric.

From the one image that is showing it looks as though there is some signs of dry/cracked skin. Most Rabbits do have a normal thickening of the skin in that area, but the skin should not be broken

Are the toe nails always kept trimmed short ? Can you use soft deep hay as a substrate rather than fleeces. Rexes who show any signs of developing sore hocks always do much better on soft hay than on any type of fabric.

Thankyou! His nails are quite short, but i will cut them down further. I dont think i could use hay because i would have to cover the whole shed in it which would be atleast 3 bags! Is there any alternatives? I will have another look at them and try and get some better pictures.

If you have somewhere to store it, a whole bale of hay from a farm or farm shop is usually priced between £5 and £8. One bale lasts me for a couple of months.

If you have somewhere to store it, a whole bale of hay from a farm or farm shop is usually priced between £5 and £8. One bale lasts me for a couple of months.

I live in London so i don't know of any nearby, but i'll look.
I also have 6 guineapigs, so i go through unreal amounts of hay:lol: Thanks!

Back