• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not sure if this is in the right section but?

quietriot

New Kit
I am travelling overseas to liverpool next week to get my new baby rabbits from a friend. Now, the planes would not allow rabbits to travel, and the boat said they could travel if placed in a dog kennel (in the dog lodge) on board during the journey (8 hours:shock:). These kennels have overhead heaters in each one. My questions are, what size carrier would be the best for two baby rabbits, what bedding should i use in it, and should i stuff the carrier full of hay and how much food should i give them for the journey, or should i feed them over time to make them less stressed (i am allowed access 24/7) A water bottle will be attached to the front of the carrier. I'm wondering whether or not to put a snuggle safe heat pad in with them because i dont want them to overheat but it is really rather cold here at the moment. Any advise to make this as stress-free as it can be would be so appreciated. Thank you

you won't need too big a pet carrier if they are small babies. I would put newspaper in the bottom and hay on top. Are they indoors or outside at the moment as if outside they won't want to feel too warm. You can try them with a few bits to nibble on the journey and maybe a towel to cover the carrier, other than this I can't think of anything else you can do. I hope the bottle won't drip, if there is a lot of motion it might but I doubt they will drink anything unless they eat some pelleys, Good luck.

my main concern would be the long journey stressing them, as they are only babies as you say, being moved from where they have been used to, to go to a new home is a big stress to any rabbit, a lot more to young baby ones, also would the carriers be near sight and smell and hearing of say anyone who is travelling dogs overseas? or cats? just a few things to maybe think about

Back