• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Changing pellets while bunny is poorly

katie88

Mama Doe
Bit of a weird question here. So as some of you may know marbles has been poorly with head tilt/ear infection. She hasn't eaten a single pellet in two weeks, minimal hay but has been eating veg and forage.

Anyway she had an overnight stay at the vets on Thursday night and apparently she ate half a bowl of pellets while she was there! :roll: Normally at home she has excel pellets but the vet gave her supreme science selective. So they gave me some samples to bring home to see if I can encourage her to eat some. Last night I gave her a mixture of excel and supreme science and she has basically picked out all the SS.

So my question is, seeing as she hasn't eaten excel for over two weeks, is it ok to just do a clean swap over to SS? I know you would normally do a gradual changeover but at the moment I'm just happy she's eating something and sshe's not eating the excel anyway? Not sure what to do. Help!

If they gave her them at the vets and there were no adverse side effects (stasis/ gas etc) then I would give them a go. I would give them gradually though (even just at first) rather than giving a whole bowl , just in case.

I would also be tempted to say to your vets about giving her stuff like pellets without making sure it was okay. In a bun with a sensitive gut a whole bowl of pellets that they'd never had before could make them potentially quite ill :(

If they gave her them at the vets and there were no adverse side effects (stasis/ gas etc) then I would give them a go. I would give them gradually though (even just at first) rather than giving a whole bowl , just in case.

I would also be tempted to say to your vets about giving her stuff like pellets without making sure it was okay. In a bun with a sensitive gut a whole bowl of pellets that they'd never had before could make them potentially quite ill :(

Yeah, this was exactly my thought. I was worried that I hadn't taken any of her food with me as I wasn't expecting her to be hospitalised. They asked me what pellets she had and I said excel and the nurse said we've got some of them so don't worry. Then when I collected her they told me she'd had half a bowl of pellets I assumed she meant excel. I said I was getting to the end of my bag so perhaps it was that, the nurse said she'd give me some samples to take away, and she came out with these ss samples! So I was a bit confused because they explicitly asked me what she normally has.

I'm really pleased she's eaten something but just a bit torn about what to do. I guess I could carry on giving both but I think she's just going to pick the ss out anyway.

I would e offering both until se recovers if she picks she picks but at least your doing the gradual change you don't want to take risks with the tummy when poorly

I would e offering both until se recovers if she picks she picks but at least your doing the gradual change you don't want to take risks with the tummy when poorly

Thank you :) This is what I will do. Goodness, anyone who thinks rabbits are low maintenance is WRONG! :lol:

Back