• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

post neuter bleeding :(

Rexripley

Mama Doe
Ive never had issues with bunnies bleeding after being neutered before but dexters just moved and left a patch of blood. is this normal?

Last edited:
Ive never had issues with bunnies bleeding after being neutered before but dexters just moved and left a patch of blood. is this normal?

I think you need to check the area,if he has pulled the stitches and it's a mess then he may well need to see a vet tonight. If its no longer bleeding and the incision looks tidy he probably doesn't need any further vet treatment tonight.

My Thor had terrible trouble after his neuter, he dislodged an internal stitch and his freshly emptied ball sac filled with blood and swelled up like a balloon :shock::shock::shock: it sort of oozed blood all over his tummy and was very alarming. He was fine, despite me waking the poor on call vet up several times with my phone calls, :oops: I took him back to the vets the next morning and they admitted him for monitoring but it just needed to be left to heal on its own really it took a few weeks to fully go :shock: on the other hand he liked his metacam :lol:

If you are worried then does your vet have an out of hours service? Talking to a vet can really help settle your worries (I pestered mine throughout the night and was even emailing her pictures of my bunnies balls :lol:)

Most importantly is he eating and pooping yet?

I think you need to check the area,if he has pulled the stitches and it's a mess then he may well need to see a vet tonight. If its no longer bleeding and the incision looks tidy he probably doesn't need any further vet treatment tonight.

My Thor had terrible trouble after his neuter, he dislodged an internal stitch and his freshly emptied ball sac filled with blood and swelled up like a balloon :shock::shock::shock: it sort of oozed blood all over his tummy and was very alarming. He was fine, despite me waking the poor on call vet up several times with my phone calls, :oops: I took him back to the vets the next morning and they admitted him for monitoring but it just needed to be left to heal on its own really it took a few weeks to fully go :shock: on the other hand he liked his metacam :lol:

If you are worried then does your vet have an out of hours service? Talking to a vet can really help settle your worries (I pestered mine throughout the night and was even emailing her pictures of my bunnies balls :lol:)

He's eating, pooping and drinking now and having a wander about. The wound looks dry now. He started licking the blood! Ewww. Hopefully he'll be fine in the morning. Going to keep checking :)

He's eating, pooping and drinking now and having a wander about. The wound looks dry now. He started licking the blood! Ewww. Hopefully he'll be fine in the morning. Going to keep checking :)

Brilliant :p

Well apart from the blood licking, that's a bit icky... He isn't a vampire bun by any chance? :shock:

Aww, I can't think of anything to add to the excellent advice from Hele, hopefully it will scab itself and heal over. If not they can add some glue if he's pulled a stitch :)

Please bring the bun to the vet if you see swelled up ball sacs

My bunny Skipper just died the night of his neutering. I'm still searching everywhere to see where I did wrong: He had the exact same problem. I was told just to monitor him so after bringing him home I didnt act immediately. After 4 hours he started having a terrible seizure. Didnt make it on my way rushing him to the ER.

I'm so very sorry about Skipper :cry: I haven't had experience of this issue after neutering, but I very much doubt that you did anything wrong. It might help to discuss what happened with the vet who performed the neuter.

Sending you lots of hugs.

I'm really sorry to hear about Skipper, I agree maybe have a word with the vet when you feel up to it. Again, so very sorry for your loss xx

Thank you for your support!

Wow I though I was replying to a super old post, just wanted to leave my paw print in case others are searching the same info. Didnt expect so many replies. Thank you all for your support.

He was such a sweet boy with personality of a puppy, likes licking my hands and face too. We bonded really well.

Here are some photos of him sleeping next to my work area and snuggling next to me. I tend to try make some meaningful sense out of every bad situation but death really doesnt make any sense. Best to you all.

eSd5ePrm.jpg
1erHyXNm.jpg

Last edited:
Wow I though I was replying to a super old post, just wanted to leave my paw print in case others are searching the same info. Didnt expect so many replies. Thank you all for your support.

He was such a sweet boy with personality of a puppy, likes licking my hands and face too. We bonded really well.

Here are some photos of him sleeping next to my work area and snuggling next to me. I tend to try make some meaningful sense out of every bad situation but death really doesnt make any sense. Best to you all.

eSd5ePrm.jpg
1erHyXNm.jpg

He was gorgeous :love: RIP lovely bunny xx

What a stunning bunny, a photograph to treasure. I don't think its possible to make sense of death, especially when you did everything right & they are so young x

Back