• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

So upset...my boy has been admitted overnight

2Angels

Young Bun
My rabbit was neutered yesterday and despite staying up all night with him trying to get him to eat and drink. He had eaten very little and only did small poops.

He went back to the vets tonight and the vet thought he had 'hypomotility' and he has been admitted overnight.

Vet thought it would have been the shock of yesterdays operation, i am so upset and feel awful.

is hypomotility the same as status?

I am so so worried

Oh, I'm sorry to hear this :(

He's in the best place and they'll do all they can to get his system going again. Bless him. Sorry I'm no help on whether this is the same thing as stasis x

Oh no, try not to worry, he is in safe hands with your vet, they will look after him. I am sorry but I don't know the answer to your question, I'm sure someone will be along soon who does. I hope he is home safe and feeling much better tomorrow. Sending hugs x

Thank you both. Can't help but feel he should have been sent home yesterday with pain relief, I feel like I have let him down x

Aw - I know how you feel as I felt it this week with my boy and his neuter.

You haven't let him down at all - you've done very well by him I think.

Try not to worry - he might just need some help getting his tummy back to normal x

Oh goodness, I'm sure he should of come home with some pain relief, my boy had a dental to remove some spurs recently and he had 5 days of pain relief, and neutering must be a bigger operation than that. I'm not 100% sure but I think he will need pain relief.
Hopefully the vets will be giving him this now, and this will get him back eating again, and he'll be feeling more comfortable x

I hope the vet wi be able to get his gut moving again and he'll be a lot brighter by the morning. Poor wee thing x

My rabbit was neutered yesterday and despite staying up all night with him trying to get him to eat and drink. He had eaten very little and only did small poops.

He went back to the vets tonight and the vet thought he had 'hypomotility' and he has been admitted overnight.

Vet thought it would have been the shock of yesterdays operation, i am so upset and feel awful.

is hypomotility the same as status?

I am so so worried

Sending lots of vibes for your little lad xx

Hypomotility of the gut means it is slowing down, becoming sluggish, so yes it means the same as when the gut is going into stasis. They will no doubt be giving him gut stimulants to get it moving again and hopefully some pain relief and fluids too.

Thinking of you. It is so worrying when they are poorly.

Thanks everyone, unfortunately he is still there and being syringe fed.

Sending lots of vibes for your little lad xx

Hypomotility of the gut means it is slowing down, becoming sluggish, so yes it means the same as when the gut is going into stasis. They will no doubt be giving him gut stimulants to get it moving again and hopefully some pain relief and fluids too.

Thinking of you. It is so worrying when they are poorly.

Thanks for this, they didn't really explain what it meant, but i thought it may have been the gut going into status.

Sorry to hear this. Do you know if the vet is giving him pain relief? Bunnies can be very stubborn when they're in pain.

Does he have any favourite treats or veg that you could take in for him? This really helped when misfit had stasis. Hopefully with some meds and syringe feeding he'll start eating soon.

Back