• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Was this appropriate care from emergency out of hours vet??

RogerRabbit999

Mama Doe
So, in the early hours of last Sunday morning (9th), bunny was rushed to Emergency Out of Hours Vet *name removed* at 0330hrs. Vet on duty and Veterinary Nurse, were just shocking, but that's another story, and bunny had Floppy Rabbit Syndrome.

From a previous experience with my bridge bunny Roger, on arriving at my usual vet, Simon Maddock at The Cat and Rabbit Care Clinic, with Roger in FRS, Simon took one look at him, and immediately rushed him through to the hospital area to stabilise him, and get him onto fluids whilst I was asked to wait in the waiting room, and then he came to discuss with me afterwards. Roger was kept on IV fluids for a number of hours, and admitted for the night, and then returned home the following day, and made a full recovery :D

Vet's, Sunday morning, left bunny on the examination table in Consultation Room, for best part of 30 mins, even though I kept reminding her of how poorly he was, and I thought she really needed to get him admitted and fluids into him. To be honest, it soon escalated with me pretty much having a bit of a go at her for not doing anything with bun, because she was spending ages faffing about producing the invoice for his treatment. £633 for bun to be admitted for IV fluids :shock::shock: and requested half of it to be paid up front, which it was. Poor bun still on table :(:(

Vet did actually state that he was 'only a rabbit' and 'positively ancient' at 7 years :shock: and so might be best to let him go because of the cost!!!

They charged £101 just to canulate and attach 'giving set' to administer fluids :shock: Final invoice was £410 because bunny passed away the following evening.

I did notice that there was only actually one bag of fluids invoiced for, and I was wondering if anyone could advise me as to whether this would have been enough for the length of time bunny was with them.

Formal complaints have now been forwarded to the vet and Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons. On arriving to collect bun, not one person said they were sorry or anything, and although advised that vet was on her way down to discuss, and was not seeing anyone else, after waiting approx. 20 mins, and still not arriving, was so distressed and upset that we left with bun.

To date, there has still been no contact from vet, and so we have no idea as to what went wrong, causing bunny's death. My own thoughts are, that with attitudes like hers and the nurse, did they even really bother looking after him. During the Sunday, we had become increasingly concerned about the care bun was, or more to the point wasn't receiving, and had made the decision to fetch him home and keep an all night vigil, to keep him going until Simon's Clinic opened the next morning.

Bunny had been taken to another emergency vet in Rugby, Saturday afternoon, who was brilliant to be honest. He appeared to have developed an abscess behind his eye, and the eye was protruding from the socket. He was fine first thing Saturday morning, but then at lunch time my daughter called me, because bunny lived in her room to say there was something wrong with his eye, but unfortunately my usual vet had just closed for the weekend.

He was given some gel to keep applying to his eye, just in case there was a very slight chance that Simon might have been able to save it, but we were expecting it to be removed. He had injections of pain relief, antibiotics and gut stimulant, and I left with all these to continue to still administer myself, plus Recovery diet to syringe feed, as bunny needed to be kept well nourished and hydrated for surgery on Monday.

The first vet we saw who was brilliant and has rabbits herself, did admit, for which I had the utmost respect, that although she was perfectly happy to perform the actual surgery required, she was concerned about the actual GA, because she was not very experienced with rabbits and GA's.

However, she did also advise that for the surgery required, and the fact that there was only a skeleton team on at the weekend, she thought it advisable, and with which I totally agreed, to just keep him comfortable for the remainder of the weekend, and then take him to Simon.

It all seemed so doable, and we didn't even have that long to wait until Monday morning, and I'm still struggling and deeply distressed as to the awful outcome of his death, and to the treatment and attitudes of the vet and nurse at *name of vet removed* :cry::cry::cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have any experience with Out of Hours vets but I just wanted to say how sorry I am. That must have been an awful experience for you. Xx

I'm so sorry you lost your wee bun, and made all the worse by what has happened and that gut feeling you have that the vets let you and your bun down.
I'm lucky enough never to have needed to use an emergency vet, and whilst I'm sure it would be normal to make you aware of the costs of treatment before you agree to it, I'm sure it's not normal to make a sick bunny wait until they complete and print the invoice and make you hand over your payment!
I'm so sorry your going through this x

Oh god, I'm so sorry, that's just awful :cry: out of hours vets terrify me for that very reason :cry: it is shockingly common for them to know nothing about rabbits at all, and to not give a damn :cry: I hope your complaint gets somewhere :(
Binky free little bunny :cry: xxx

Hello Rogerrabbit, its seems ages since you have been on here.

Really really sorry to hear about Bunny. I would certainly have made a complaint if that had happened to me. Keeping Bunny waiting on the consulting table for THIRTY minutes in just unbelievable.

I hope you get a full refund and an appology at the very least.

Sorry once again for your sad loss.

I'm so sorry for your loss :(. I've had first hand experience of that Vets and it was shocking. I only had contact with the vet (a tall, middle-aged lady a didn't get her name unfortunately). She really didn't seem to give a stuff about seeing a rabbit and told me that she wouldn't x-ray the same day because "I'm the only vet here and I have proper emergencies to deal with" :shock:. Parsnip had a broken elbow FFS. If I have any bunny OOH emergencies now I take mine to the Vets Now clinic at my dog vets in the Milton Keynes Veterinary Hospital.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a shocking attitude! IM so sorry :(

also another point legally a vet isn't qualified to give financial advice, so his advice to pts due to cost was already wrong.
i don't know how much iv fluids would have been needed. I spose it depends on exactly how much was in the bag.
thinking of you xxxxxx

Hello Rogerrabbit, its seems ages since you have been on here.

Really really sorry to hear about Bunny. I would certainly have made a complaint if that had happened to me. Keeping Bunny waiting on the consulting table for THIRTY minutes in just unbelievable.

I hope you get a full refund and an appology at the very least.

Sorry once again for your sad loss.

To be honest, what I really want is for some kind of disciplinary action to be taken against the vet and nurse. I have double checked with my own vet, and FRS is a medical emergency. It does have a good prognosis if supportive treatment is provided quickly enough, and my other bunny who saw Simon made a full recovery.

The money was actually not even an issue because bun was insured, and so was a complete and utter waste of time, and the vet knew that, because she asked if he was when she was taking the initial details.

When they phoned to say that he had passed away, and that they had done everything they could and tried to resuscitate him, but I don't believe they did anything at all, as when we went to collect him, his mouth was full of Recovery diet, and to try and resuscitate him, they would have had to clear it, in order to have a clear airway. In fact his mouth was so full of Recovery, I'm even starting to wonder if they syringe fed him incorrectly and he aspirated it into his lungs, as it seems strange that he passed away in the middle of being fed.

To be honest, I'm really struggling to deal with this, and I'm constantly reliving it in my mind and can't make any sense of why someone would choose to be a vet and then do what this vet and nurse did. The fact that they lied about trying to resuscitate him, makes me doubt everything now, and I really just don't know how I can ever be at any kind of peace with this, because it is now making me feel to blame as well for having left him there, and if I could only turn back the clock which of course I can't :cry::cry:

Back