• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poppy leaving caecals for a couple of days and now a dirty bum

Whitelighter

Warren Scout
I think I've mucked up her diet.

She is nursing 2 week old kits and I thought that wisdom was let her eat as much as she wants so she can cope. So she has unlimited hay anyway but I've been allowing her as many pellets as she want and I think this is the root of the problem. I've cut the pellets out completely today and reverted to loads of hay, forage and alfalfa in limited amounts.

She had alfalfa as a young bun, and I've re-introduced it as its suppose to offer a good boost for nursing mums. I wonder if this could be part of the issue.

So now I have a dilemma, I want her to eat but she needs to eat her caecals and I'm very worried today she hasn't even cleaned her bum. Last rabbit that did this after giving birth deteriorated fast and was dead within a week. That was Poppy's mum Rosie - died from a caecal compaction which I'm told is rare.

Poppy is eating (loads) and pooing a lot. The poos are big and round but are black and a little sticky. I don't think there is enough hay getting in. Am I right to restrict the diet to hay and forage? She can have as much as she wants, I put half a massive bag in this morning but I am worried.

I wouldn't stop the pellets altogether. Just give her little bits of forage and pellets but lots of hay. The trouble is if you have been giving her too much to eat then that could have caused this. Just cut back a bit. Hope this problem rectifies itself and all is well again.

I don't know. I was advised to do exactly what you have done, with regards the unlimited pellets, which is what I have done, and all has been well. Beatrice is 3 weeks old now, and enormous :shock: She left the nest at 2 weeks and hasn't been back in it since. She is so brave, and into everything, and now runs out of the room with her mum. Have had to purchase 'baby gates' because she is going up the stairs, and trying to get into everywhere she shouldn't be :lol:

She appears to have no fear of me, although not sure if that changes later, and is always scrambling up on to my lap and digging her way up my chest, as she likes to lay squished up under my chin. No problems with picking her up at all, just let her climb on me. Already very playful and throwing toys about, and loves running up and down the tunnel in their room. She is actually copying her mum with a lot of things including using the litter tray (is this usual??)

I definitely think she is a girl, as she has far too much attitude for a boy :lol: She stole a piece of carrot today, and when I took it away from her, she actually went for me and nipped me (at 3 weeks:shock:)

I've seen your pics and they are all so gorgeous. Will post some of Beatrice when I have uploaded to laptop. Beatrice was one of 4 kits, of which unfortunately 3 were born dead. This was an accidental litter caused by a friend letting her buck run with my doe when I was in hospital :cry:

she likes to lay squished up under my chin.

Awww Daisy likes to do this too! :)
image_zps2e45660e.jpg

Back