• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

urgent advice re pet shop bunny

Rexripley

Mama Doe
Just visited a garden centre for lunch. This place sells rabbits and one of them the cage was full of runny poos. I went up to the girl who worked there and mentioned it and was advised the bunny was on baytril. Why is it out for sale then? Ive taken pictures but im now worried about the little guy and not sure what to do.

The council issues pet shops with the licence required to sell animals so they'd be my first port of call. I'm pretty sure that selling sick animals would violate the terms of their licence.

The council issues pet shops with the licence required to sell animals so they'd be my first port of call. I'm pretty sure that selling sick animals would violate the terms of their licence.

Ditto

The poor Bunny should not have been out in the shop and certainly should not be up for sale.

That's awful, poor bunny :( God idea to take pics though !

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

To be fair to them, they bunny might not have been available for sale at that point if anyone had asked, they might have just not moved it out the back. I'd have thought that taking sick animals from the shop floor would be good practice but not necessarily a legal requirement as long as they don't sell it. The fact that she said it's on Baytril suggests they know it is poorly and are treating it. Whether Baytril is the appropriate treatment is a different question. As it's a prescription only drug, in theory bunny should have seen a vet in order to be given it, although it wouldn't surprise me if some places manage to keep a little stockpile somehow.

In all honesty, although it doesn't sound perfect, it doesn't sound an urgent problem either. If you're still concerned, why not ask to speak to the manager to check bun has seen a vet and to suggest bun is taken out of public areas to get well without constant shop floor disturbances.

Back