• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Apple is still poorly

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
Initially after her dental, Apple was more active and seemed a happier bunny, but over the past couple of days she has gone downhill again. She won't come out of her hutch and can't seem to get comfortable at all. She is eating, but not doing much else.

Yesterday, I popped into the vet on the way to work to pick up some metacam and I gave her that this morning, but when I got to work I was worrying about her. I am working all day today and all over the weekend and I don't want Apple to suffer. I asked if I could take some time off to take her to the vet. The Manager is on leave and I was supposed to 'phone her Manager but I have been trying that all week (as I am intending to resign this job) and can't get hold of her, so I just left a colleague to cover and went. My vet is great at fitting me in.

Apple's bottom was dirty as I haven't wanted to bath her now the temperature has dropped and have just been removing the solid lumps. He shaved her for me and underneath she is sore. He also checked her feet and in between her toes, under the fur, she is sore as well. He thinks she has an infection on her feet, which would explain why she doesn't want to hop around.

Apple was soooo good. I held her while the vet shaved her and she didn't struggle once. She wasn't tranced as her head was up. Afterwards I put her on the table and she went to the vet for a nose rub:love: I asked him to check her heart and lungs and her tummy and all are fine. She has had a baytril injection and I have some liquid baytril to give her twice a day for ten days, along with metacam. If she hasn't improved after that he will take a piece of the hair from her foot to test for fungal infections, but he said it doesn't look fungal.

Once I got Apple home I had to leave her to go back to work but I am hoping she will feel more comfortable now. I have never had a bun with an infection in their feet before. Apple lives in a quad outside in a fenced off part of my back yard, which can get muddy (although it is concrete) so I guess she could have got an infection while she was out of her hutch playing.

Any spare vibes would be appreciated please? Apple is about half the size of her Mum and Sister and has never seemed as strong as they are. She often gets left out in the quad and is such a gentle, loving, little bun.

Thank you:wave:

Just about to finish work and head off to the supermarket to get Apple some herbs and some blackcurrant to disguise her baytril.

Poor Apple :cry: I hope she feels better soon

I would check the feet of all the others as some bacterial skin infections can be contagious

Poor Apple :cry: I hope she feels better soon

I would check the feet of all the others as some bacterial skin infections can be contagious

Thank you, Jane. I'd be surprised if any of them had any problems with their feet as they are all extremely active - even in the weather here today, which is wet and windy. It was dark when I got home from work and will be dark when I leave for work tomorrow but I am cleaning them out in the afternoon so will check them all then.

Apple nommed a little parsley. She was very wet so I think she must have been outside the hutch. I've dried her off with a towel and put a blankie in her hutch so she can snuggle in that, which may be more comfortable for her sore bits. She did not like being dried one bit but I worry about her catching a chill. Most of my buns seem to like sitting in the rain - odd!

I hope they don't all get whatever Apple has. Giving four bunnies Baytril and Metacam would not be fun - especially as they are usually pretty difficult to catch.

Vibes

Having only just joined, your Rabbit problems made me sad.
I am a 42 bloke and my little dwarf lop turned me soppy.
On account of the friendliness of this forum I would like also to wish you and your bunski the best of health.
Good luck,
Glen

Thank you everyone.

Apple is still not leaving her hutch. I've just cleaned them all out and given her her baytril before I go on-call overnight.

The vet did say I could increase the pain relief for up to five days so I am going to give her some more metacam now when I give them their tea and put them to bed for the night.

She is not happy with me giving her nasty baytril, but hopefully some metacam and apple will cheer her up. She did like the parsley I gave her last night.

Welcome to the forum Glen. I think a soppy, rabbit loving man is something most women (on this forum anyway) would find most attractive:wave:

Apple still doesn't seem right but she ran away from me when I was trying to give her her meds earlier today so I had to wait until I went to clean them out and grab her then. She ran very quickly for a bunny with sore feetsies so I think they are getting better:)

She still stays in her hutch most of the time though. I have increased her metacam to twice daily as the vet said I could for five days. I guess it will take time for her to fully heal. Her bottom is cleaner now that it has been shaved - I think she finds it easier to wash there now, so I may need to get that done regularly. I can't do it myself and hold her.

I thinks she is going in the right direction - I must want her to be completely better - NOW!!! (I am not a patient person!)

Thank you all for your support xxxx

Back