• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bloat/stomach full of fluid U/D Binky free Herbie

Vanessa.B

Mama Doe
Our Herbie is currently very poorly at the vets. He was off his food last night, although bright. He did this a couple of weekends ago and after zantac, metaclop and metacam he was fine by the morning. However today he was no better so we made an emergency dash to the vets first thing.

Teeth seemed to be the obvious culprit as Herbie had some spurs. Whilst waiting for a dental he was seen to nibble some hay and drink water. Then he suddenly regurgitated a load of fluid and his stomach blew up.

He has been operated on, there was no blockage, his stomach contained food and more of this fluid and some gas.

My vet had not seen this happen so suddenly before and has no idea why. She suspected liver torsion but his liver looked fine.

Any info on this would be welcome. And also some vibes for Herbie. He is a very poorly rabbit, it must be his 7th birthday about now too :(:(

Forgot to add that his partner Hollie was also a bit off last night too but was fine this morning. I had wondered if the high winds the previous day here had stressed them into gut slowdown

Last edited:
Thanks Jane and Amy. I am now at work and can't tap into the links on my antiquated PC system, will have a look as soon as I can.

I hope I made the right decision for Herbie - I was thinking with my heart and not my head. It is less than two months since his last dental and I know now he has arthritis in his spine. But the fact that he still enjoys life made me agree to carrying on treating him. I hope this was right.

So sorry to read that Herbie is so unwell. I hope he makes a full recovery and there is no reoccurrence of whatever caused it.

I will be checking for hopefully good news and send loads of vibes that this is the case, you must be very worried for him.:cry:

The vets have let Herbie go. His heart had stopped but despite resuscitating him it was clear that he was very very ill. We agreed that it wasn't in his best interests to keep him alive.

Louise and I are heartbroken. Binky free forever our fluffy wee man xx

The vets have let Herbie go. His heart had stopped but despite resuscitating him it was clear that he was very very ill. We agreed that it wasn't in his best interests to keep him alive.

Louise and I are heartbroken. Binky free forever our fluffy wee man xx

I am so very sorry :cry:

RIP Herbie xx

I've just logged in and seen this. :( I'm so very sorry to hear about Herbie. :cry:
((((((((((((Huge hugs for you)))))))))))))))
Binky free and sweet dreams, dear bun. xxxx

Back