• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ok stupid question...

Panjanda

Alpha Buck
This may be a stupid question but if rabbits don't cope with temperature change how do people with house bunnies cope with exercising there bunnies.
Do you let them out in the garden at all or do they just exercise in the house ?

There are no stupid questions. :)

Most people let indoor rabbits out in good weather/summer. But in the winter they will live in a rabbit proofed room or have run of the house. My sister has her rabbits living in her room and they have the run of the landing stairs and hall for exercise each day. :)

There are no stupid questions. :)

Most people let indoor rabbits out in good weather/summer. But in the winter they will live in a rabbit proofed room or have run of the house. My sister has her rabbits living in her room and they have the run of the landing stairs and hall for exercise each day. :)

Ahh I see thank you xx

My rabbits spend the majority of their time in the house. In the summer I sometimes take them out in the x-pen to munch on some grass, but I would never use that as my way of exercising them: the pen isn't big enough to allow them proper binky space and works much better as their cage when they're not exploring the house. Toshi and Paige have full run of the house all day except when I'm not home or Joshua is out and they have plenty of room to binky and play :D

Mine don't go out, Charlie doesn't like it and it wouldn't be fair to split them up just to put Milly outside.

Mine exercise by having the run of the downstairs. They have a play outside in the summer but do prefer to stay inside :wave:

Mine are indoor buns so they get exercise in the house. I could take them outdoors on most days (mild weather here) but for mine outdoor time is more for mental stimulation than physical exercise.

We have 23 house buns. They all get exercise indoors throughout the winter. I tend to take them out to the garden for short times from April onwards if it is sunny and warm enough. I can usually still get a couple of hours up until early October again providing the grass etc is dry enough and there is some sun. I love our buns bouncing around the house although obviously because we have so many they have to have pens and cages too. Ours seem happy enough with our set up.

We don't take ours out - the local 'tame' fox would have a fab time :shock:

They all have free range time indoors - we are lucky to have a fairly large flat with lots of interesting places for them to investigate and room to have their mad dashes. I would love to take them outside - Sheldon in particular would have a great time - but it's just not safe with Mr Fox around.

this might be really naive of me......before getting my Rudie bunny I done a lot of re-search and didn't come across anything about climate. Rudie lives outside in a good sized hutch but comes in morning and evening. Does this mean that this is actually bad for him......coming in from the cold, getting warm, only to go back out? We do have a heater in the hutch but now I feel bad :shock:

this might be really naive of me......before getting my Rudie bunny I done a lot of re-search and didn't come across anything about climate. Rudie lives outside in a good sized hutch but comes in morning and evening. Does this mean that this is actually bad for him......coming in from the cold, getting warm, only to go back out? We do have a heater in the hutch but now I feel bad :shock:

Normally this is bad, but maybe since you have a heater in the hutch he's being kept at relatively the same temperature? I'm not sure.
I wouldn't change it now since that could be a shock and his coat probably isn't thick enough to keep him warm.

Where I live it's kinda the opposite, rabbits have to be brought indoors on cold nights or a heater be put in their hutch because they never grow a thick coat and are used to warm weather. We had done this my whole life and never had problems, but then I joined this forum and read that that was bad so I kept Raven outside with no heater on a really cold night and he died a couple weeks later :( I don't know how I could have been so stupid, it never occurred to me that there could be a climate difference. So I always try to mention this on threads like this so that any guests/members that are reading it and live in the subtropics aren't misinformed.

Normally this is bad, but maybe since you have a heater in the hutch he's being kept at relatively the same temperature? I'm not sure.
I wouldn't change it now since that could be a shock and his coat probably isn't thick enough to keep him warm.

Where I live it's kinda the opposite, rabbits have to be brought indoors on cold nights or a heater be put in their hutch because they never grow a thick coat and are used to warm weather. We had done this my whole life and never had problems, but then I joined this forum and read that that was bad so I kept Raven outside with no heater on a really cold night and he died a couple weeks later :( I don't know how I could have been so stupid, it never occurred to me that there could be a climate difference. So I always try to mention this on threads like this so that any guests/members that are reading it and live in the subtropics aren't misinformed.

So sorry to hear that you lost your bunny! I have had Rudie since Dec and always make sure he has he's heater on and cover down at night when he goes back in he's hutch. Luckily we haven't had any snow yet! I think if we do then I will just add loads of bedding for him. I can't wait for the spring so I can put him in a run in the garden - it's way too wet over here for that at the moment!

Thank you for your comment :)

All of mine are house bunnies ..

On mild days I give them the choice of running outside for a couple of hours by opening the back doors. Sometimes they choose not to go near the doors let alone outside!

One loves to bounce around outside though .. he has a thicker coat than the others. :)

Hi sorry just wanted to ask a similar question. My 2 buns are house bunnies and I don't have a garden. My mum lives literally 2 minutes walk round the corner and has a walled garden, they have a dog and my cat living there but they could be shut in while the bunnies are there. I was thinking about taking them round when the weather gets nice (if it ever gets nice!) for an hour on a Sunday or something lilke that, but do you think it would be more stressful than enjoyable for them?

Hi sorry just wanted to ask a similar question. My 2 buns are house bunnies and I don't have a garden. My mum lives literally 2 minutes walk round the corner and has a walled garden, they have a dog and my cat living there but they could be shut in while the bunnies are there. I was thinking about taking them round when the weather gets nice (if it ever gets nice!) for an hour on a Sunday or something lilke that, but do you think it would be more stressful than enjoyable for them?

Personally I would go with stressful, but it depends on the buns. What are they like with traveling? Plus if they were to be eating grass you would need to make sure that it forms part of their normal diet as for a bun unused to eating grass suddenly being put out on it can make them quite poorly and even bring on stasis.

Louie freeranges the whole of my house and also freeranges outside everyday. The back door is left open so he can come and go as he wants (only when someone is home, obviously!).

Back