• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fallen trees - bummer, it's gone!!!

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
Hi, does anyone know the legalities if taking fallen trees from public areas? Unfortunately a lovely young birch tree on my street has completely snapped at the base in last nights gales and I'd love to make use of it in the rabbit run! I've had my eye on a rowan that's by my fence, I didn't think too much about taking that one as it's right by my house (I'm at the end so it's not really in a very visible place) and it's been there ages now so I may well get that one, but the birch that went last night is on the public grassed area of the street (it's typical new build estate) so it feels a bit wrong to take it!! But I'm sure the council will just take it and chop it up or whatever they do :( I wondered whether I should ask the council but I don't want them to say no haha and they're likely to think I'm a weirdo :lol:

Last edited:
Hi, does anyone know the legalities if taking fallen trees from public areas? Unfortunately a lovely young birch tree on my street has completely snapped at the base in last nights gales and I'd love to make use of it in the rabbit run! I've had my eye on a rowan that's by my fence, I didn't think too much about taking that one as it's right by my house (I'm at the end so it's not really in a very visible place) and it's been there ages now so I may well get that one, but the birch that went last night is on the public grassed area of the street (it's typical new build estate) so it feels a bit wrong to take it!! But I'm sure the council will just take it and chop it up or whatever they do :( I wondered whether I should ask the council but I don't want them to say no haha and they're likely to think I'm a weirdo :lol:

I would just ask the council :wave: they might appreciate you taking it as it saves them dealing with it!

I would just ask the council :wave: they might appreciate you taking it as it saves them dealing with it!

True! They maintain the grass and stuff so they'd prob just take it next time they come, it's not causing an obstruction or anything so I can't c them making a special journey! Just hope they're not due today :lol:

It depends who owns it. Its all very complicated regarding trees - an oak tree at the bottom of our garden has gone down (on new years day) and landlady trying to find out who's responsible as technically its owned by them (on their land) but its protected, so it's all very complicated!

It depends who owns it. Its all very complicated regarding trees - an oak tree at the bottom of our garden has gone down (on new years day) and landlady trying to find out who's responsible as technically its owned by them (on their land) but its protected, so it's all very complicated!

Hmm, it was a newly built estate 7yrs ago but I've found out the grass etc is maintained by the council so dies this mean the council owns it or the building company?! It won't be protected, they're all young trees that were planted at the time if building. Quite a few of them have gone down with the weather :( I might just drag it home after dark... It's a rescue mission :lol:

Hmm, it was a newly built estate 7yrs ago but I've found out the grass etc is maintained by the council so dies this mean the council owns it or the building company?! It won't be protected, they're all young trees that were planted at the time if building. Quite a few of them have gone down with the weather :( I might just drag it home after dark... It's a rescue mission :lol:

It'll depend if there is a management company - a lot of the new estates are owned by a company (if that makes sense).

I'd just go get it when its dark :lol:

I want to cut some of the oak tree off for furniture but scared incase I get in trouble haha

I'd just take it without asking :lol: They should be grateful you saved them the time and money:)

I almost took it last night, I walk my dogs down the street last thing before bed so it's usually about midnight, but it was still attached on one side, I'd have to bend it back the other way to get it and I chickened out! If it's quiet out tonight I might get it :lol: At least it will be going to good use and not just chopped up!

Ain't it typical, got home from work and the tree has been moved already :( They have removed the stump too though, I suppose if I had taken it they might not have noticed the stump and it could have been dangerous! Wish I'd been here tho I could have ran out and said wait can I have the tree?! :lol:

Back