• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vet just scuffed Neville!

Jesselle

Mama Doe
I'm furious. Vet stitched him after his neuter and when I asked why he wasn't glued (I was told he would be) he said rabbits never pick out stitches.

Didn't give me pain relief.

And so we are back two days later and Neville has removed a stitch.

He also can't handle him properly and scruffed him. I'm sitting waiting now whilst my boy has been taken away to have a the bit of leftover stitching out.

I feel like I've failed poor little Neville :(

Ask to speak to the practice manager about your concerns, if you really aren't comfortable speaking you can write later.

You should be able to trust a vet, it's not you that's let him down!

:evil: Our first vet (6 years ago) scruffed Poppy and my mom went mental at the vet. Refused to let Poppy be seen by her and another vet had to come in. She was terrified :(

I've only had one glued and it was so much easier than the stitches because both of my girls pulled theirs out.. Charley was glued so we had no problems with her (although she did stop eating hay for over a week..). The 2 boys were stitched but had no issues with them, but that doesn't mean to say they wouldn't have picked the stitches out, so what that vet is talking about I don't know!

Personally I would go ape! I've had one vet unable to handle one of mine, so I basically taught him how to, because you certainly don't hold them with one hand and lift them into the air! We don't see him anymore. (Co owner of the practice..)

You haven't let Nev down at all! Xx

Last edited:
:( I've never seen Neville look so stressed at this practice - the other vets have been great. Ugh. Can scruffing hurt them? He supported his bum but it still looked horrible.

Vet still maintaining they don't usually pick out stitches but agreed for me to give the pain relief I have at home and said he should be fine. He refused to agree to the pain relief on Monday after his neuter.

There's another post op check a week later. I may ask to see another vet or just go to my hamster vets who are fab, just further away.

Ask to speak to the practice manager about your concerns, if you really aren't comfortable speaking you can write later.

You should be able to trust a vet, it's not you that's let him down!

I will write a letter - they're closed now.

Rabbits absolutely do pick out stitches given the chance, your vet seems very ignorant about rabbits unfortunately :(

Scruffing is just not on, under ANY circumstances. I would be furious if a vet tried to scruff one of mine :evil: Definitely have a word with the practice manager about this vet.

Rabbits absolutely do pick out stitches given the chance, your vet seems very ignorant about rabbits unfortunately :(

Scruffing is just not on, under ANY circumstances. I would be furious if a vet tried to scruff one of mine :evil: Definitely have a word with the practice manager about this vet.

He said 'I'm going to scruff him' and before I knew it he had him and I reached out to try and support Neville and he said 'let me handle this' ufffft.

Is it harmful to them? It's certainly not natural.

He's not the usual vet I see with Neville here. I'm going to use my hamster vets from now on.

He said 'I'm going to scruff him' and before I knew it he had him and I reached out to try and support Neville and he said 'let me handle this' ufffft.

Is it harmful to them? It's certainly not natural.

He's not the usual vet I see with Neville here. I'm going to use my hamster vets from now on.

I'm not sure whether or not it is painful, but I would think that it is for an adult rabbit especially. Not only that it will terrify the rabbit :cry:

My Max was scruffed by the pet shop he was in when I adopted him because he was "difficult." He is still a bit head shy all these years later :cry:

Poor Neville. I would definitely email your vet practice with the name of the vet who scruffed him and let them know about the stress the have caused etc.

poor Neville my last vet did it to my old dog bouncer who lived for 20 years and all his life he was terrified of going to any vet I've made sure all my pets since see the vet as a positive thing and make the vets give them treats after every visit

Definitely see a different vet. Should if had pain meds for sure. My boy picked his stitches out after his neuter while he was waiting for me to collect him from the vets so they glued the wound and it was fine after that.

The other two vets I saw at the practice were very nice, calm and handled Neville really well - he didn't struggle once. He struggled as soon as he saw this vet, so obv didn't have a great time during his neuter.

Argh I'm still reeling! Trying to focus at work.

bisc pulled his out aswell after his neuter. i think loads do.

a vet at the emergency vet picked bisc and matt up like that aswell. i was so upset and furious. never have been back there.

I kind of knew Neville would after seeing him try to lick Xeno off of his neck within 2 seconds of having it on!

Neville seems quite happy - eating very well and attacking his pen as he's sick of being in.

Can I ask how long he needs to be penned for? He's free range usually. I'm keen to let him have access to one room 24/7 soon to stop him being destructive (to himself!)

Or should he have supervised free range time only so that he doesn't hurt himself?

I kind of knew Neville would after seeing him try to lick Xeno off of his neck within 2 seconds of having it on!

Neville seems quite happy - eating very well and attacking his pen as he's sick of being in.

Can I ask how long he needs to be penned for? He's free range usually. I'm keen to let him have access to one room 24/7 soon to stop him being destructive (to himself!)

Or should he have supervised free range time only so that he doesn't hurt himself?

Has he had his stitches out? I would say he should be ok to come out if he has.

I waited a week before letting Shadowfax out, but she was speyed and it's a much bigger op for a girl. Fiver was only penned for about 2 days, because he was going crazy. :roll:

I think scruffing scares them more than anything. Some buns do have a lot of loose skin around their scruff, but I can't imagine it being comfortable to be held like that. I would also be concerned that they would kick out (even if their bum is supported) and hurt their back. :( Poor Neville. Sending nose rubs. x

Back