• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Awful question - don't read if squeamish re flesh on lawn

esupi

Warren Veteran
I've just got home to find a dead pigeon on the lawn. My first thought was a cat had got him, but given this weather and where he was I actually think he probably blew into the fence. Anyway, on one side all his flesh and feathers were missing. I can see the feathers all over the lawn - can't see in the dark but suspect the flesh will have been scattered there too.

what would you do re letting the buns out once the weather has improved? I'll clean it up as best I can obviously, but I'm thinking I'll need to leave it a while before they can go back on there?

RIP poor pigeon :(

Could you maybe put some plantpots or a big box over the area the pigeon was so they can still go out but wont be eating bits of flesh?

Could you maybe put some plantpots or a big box over the area the pigeon was so they can still go out but wont be eating bits of flesh?

It's a bigger area than that but yes I guess I could fence it off at least. Will have to assess in the daylight I think.

I know that wild birds can carry coccidiosis but I think that that is more in their droppings? If you are worried you could buy some stalosan f or something similar to put on the ground? It's a disinfectant powder for the ground and works to neutralise the earth and kill off nasty bacteria. I use it for my chickens' run. It says on the packet that you can use it on the ground that they eat from and I have never had any problems with it.

Back