• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

torn

sparklefairy

Wise Old Thumper
I don't know what to do. Storm is lonely. He has never been alone. His partner of over 8 years died. It is still too raw to think about more bunnies, but what is best for storm? He is an 8 and a half year old french lop.
I don't want him to be lonely and sad, but what if he doesn't accept a new friend?

What would you do?

I don't know what to do. Storm is lonely. He has never been alone. His partner of over 8 years died. It is still too raw to think about more bunnies, but what is best for storm? He is an 8 and a half year old french lop.
I don't want him to be lonely and sad, but what if he doesn't accept a new friend?

What would you do?

I would start looking for a new bun :) with home checks and organising it will probably be several weeks before you are able to introduce them anyway. I was so upset when I lost Rupert but I know sapphire was lonely and I knew I shouldn't wait.

Have a look on rabbit rehome for an older lady, maybe?

I really don't know. When Sunshine passed away we got Mr Bennett as a companion for Cutie-pie but the whole process took about a month. 6 months later they fell out and we were left with a lonely Cutie-pie so we ended up getting Bandit for her. I honestly don't know what we will do when one of them isn't around anymore. I would hate to see them on their own but James has said no more.

Mr B is different, he doesn't like other buns.

I would start looking for a new bun :) with home checks and organising it will probably be several weeks before you are able to introduce them anyway. I was so upset when I lost Rupert but I know sapphire was lonely and I knew I shouldn't wait.

Have a look on rabbit rehome for an older lady, maybe?

:thumb:

I am so scared to get an older bun, selfish I know :( I just can't bare to lose another bun. Although I know storm isn't a young bun. I would go for an adult bun and not a baby though. I was very lucky that gypsy accepted ( eventually) a 16 week old unneutered storm. She was almost 2 I think. Her previous partner was almost 9 so a big change for her to have a young bun. They were inseperable :cry: it is so hard seeing storm all alone.

I am so scared to get an older bun, selfish I know :( I just can't bare to lose another bun. Although I know storm isn't a young bun. I would go for an adult bun and not a baby though. I was very lucky that gypsy accepted ( eventually) a 16 week old unneutered storm. She was almost 2 I think. Her previous partner was almost 9 so a big change for her to have a young bun. They were inseperable :cry: it is so hard seeing storm all alone.

If you get a young bun then you have to be prepared to enter the circle where one bun goes and you get another as a companion. As long as you are ok with this then I don't see the problem with getting a younger bunny :)

When Gemma went to the Bridge I asked Angie if she had a suitable wife for George far too soon for me, but George was lonely and I work long hours. The change in him when Violet came into his life was amazing. He is not a bun that is happy without bunny company.

It is difficult to adopt a new bun when your grief is fresh, but I have never regretted doing it.

So sorry for your loss :(

I lost one of my bunnies very recently (30th Jan), Lottie and George had been bonded and had spent their whole lives together, when Lottie passed away it broke my heart, she was my first rabbit. Seeing George sat there so lonely broke my heart even more so i took the plunge and got him a friend. It was the hardest thing ever. I am the rehoming co-ordinator at our RSPCA branch so i decided to give our longest stay girly, Esme a go with George. George instantly fell in love with her, but it has took me a while to bond with her. I cried every night for days, seeing her in the cage with Georgey broke my heart. She won't ever replace Lottie, but i hope for the time being George is happy and it gives a bunny in rescue a forever home. I've not had her long and she is off for a dental tomorrow and head xrays, we really aren't having a good time but seeing George happy again is priceless :love:

Even if the time isn't right for you, Storm is probably ready for a friend, it probably feels so strange to him having no bunny company after all these years.

I don't envy you in your decision, it's one of the hardest decisions i've ever made xxx

Hi, do you want to continue having rabbits? I'd say if you were going to always have bunnies then get storm a partner but if at some point you are going to stop then maybe not (or as you say an elderly partner). It must be SO hard.
I'm not getting any more buns after my 3 so at some point I'm going to have a lonely bun :cry:

We said we weren't getting any more rabbits.... but when the rabbit you have stops eating, and is sitting there not responding to anything, you do have to rethink :(

It's so hard and it isn't a decision i'd wish on anyone x

I can only echo what Kath has said about if you want to keep having buns. If so, a couple of quick tips. Despite old age bunnies will quite happily take to new partners, I have a pair of bonded boys aged 9 and 8 and they bonded when they were 8 and 7 years old and being more mature has definitely helped. Most rabbits tend to be more mellow and accepting once they reach their elderly years. I would suggest taking Storm to a rescue that will let you do a meet and greet. I would not take age into account too much, let Storm choose. Many young rabbits pass away suddenly at any age so a younger age is no guarantee.

So sorry for your loses everyone :cry: I would not wish this sadness on anyone :( we only lost gypsy on the 8th Feb so everything is still very raw. I am no way ready for another bun, but I have to think of storm. If I could sit with him all day I probably would not think about another bun. I am a busy mum though, my life is worlds apart from when I lost my first bun and gypsy's First partner almost 9 years ago. It was 6 months before storm came along. I had no one back then so I was almost the other bunny for a while. I don't have the same amount of time to be the other bun now :(

I have just seen the most beautiful frenchie girl on rabbit rehome. Is that awful of me?

no of course not..I would contact a couple of decent rescues and get any checks done..then keep an eye on their bunnies and when one pulls at your heartstrings go for it..
As Storm is older would you be bonding yourself?

no of course not..I would contact a couple of decent rescues and get any checks done..then keep an eye on their bunnies and when one pulls at your heartstrings go for it..
As Storm is older would you be bonding yourself?

I would bond them myself (hopefully)
I have never been home checked. What happens?

I would bond them myself (hopefully)
I have never been home checked. What happens?

nothing to worry about..just would want to see where the bunnies will live and make sure it is large and secure enough..also to get a feel of new owners. You may be well known enough to some rescuers for them to accept photos and details by e mail along with permission to ring your vet to check on vacs ect
As said it is usually an informal chat with a volunteer :) Gives new owners a chance to ask questions too

Back