• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can someone please help me, mystery illness!

silverspider05

Warren Scout
Hi

I went down to the rabbits first thing this morning as always and knew as I was coming up to the wendyhouse that Jake wasn't right when I saw him sitting in the window. When I opened the door it scared the pants off of me, his face no longer looks defined like a dutchy, his face has swollen to three times its normal size, completely puffy. His breathing is horrendous, he sounds like a little pig snorting. I rushed him to the vets at 9 am and the vet has said its not his teeth, they're not sure what it is, but judging by his breathing he is gravely ill. They think it may be an infection, and that he is a very poorly bunny. they gave him antibiotics and an anti inflammatory, and recovery stuff. I have to syringe him antibiotics tomorrow too. If it gets worse they said bring him back but be prepared for the worse. he is six years old. I am heartbroken to see him like this, it makes me cringe hearing him try to breathe 'cos it must be such a struggle for him. Has anyone else had anything like this or know what it might be, just so I can find out a bit more about it and let my vet know!

Thank you

Kate

both my rabbits are inoculated against myxi and VHD, due for booster in April. We thought it may be an allergic reaction with the swelling and difficulty breathing ,. he hasn't had anything different to what they would normally have, the same hay, veggies and pellets as always. I've been giving him the convalescence powder (which usually he hates, but he's desperately getting it down him) he's eaten a few pellets and a few strands of hay. IHe hasn't been to the toilet all day. He's been on my lap at work most of the day in a little doughnut bed cos he's cold (vet said his temp is a bit low) and he is getting distressed when I leave him, for example, I put him down to mix up more of the powder, and he seemed really disorienated, asked to be picked up (which he does when he's scared) and just tried to jump into my arms when I was crouched down on the floor and managed to completely misjudge and headbut me in the neck. I don't know if he's disorienated? Im starting to get more and more distressed I can feel myself welling up, I can't bear to see him like this!

both my rabbits are inoculated against myxi and VHD, due for booster in April. We thought it may be an allergic reaction with the swelling and difficulty breathing ,. he hasn't had anything different to what they would normally have, the same hay, veggies and pellets as always. I've been giving him the convalescence powder (which usually he hates, but he's desperately getting it down him) he's eaten a few pellets and a few strands of hay. IHe hasn't been to the toilet all day. He's been on my lap at work most of the day in a little doughnut bed cos he's cold (vet said his temp is a bit low) and he is getting distressed when I leave him, for example, I put him down to mix up more of the powder, and he seemed really disorienated, asked to be picked up (which he does when he's scared) and just tried to jump into my arms when I was crouched down on the floor and managed to completely misjudge and headbut me in the neck. I don't know if he's disorienated? Im starting to get more and more distressed I can feel myself welling up, I can't bear to see him like this!

What tests has the vet done?

Were the veggies and hay from a pack he's eaten from before or a new pack?

What tests has the vet done?

Were the veggies and hay from a pack he's eaten from before or a new pack?

The vets haven't really done any tests, no bloods or anything, they want to treat him for infection first to see if that works. THe veggies and hay were ones he'd eaten before.

Is your vet rabbit savvy? If your bun is as bad as the vet says, he should probably be admitted for intensive care. I hope he improves very soon :( x

he has had a problem with s spur on his molar before so he had surgery to file it down, so I thought it may have been dental, but apparently his teeth are fine. Other than that, nothing. I forgot to mention that sometimes when he's breathing in it sounds bubbly. (this has only started today)

Last edited:
Is your vet rabbit savvy? If your bun is as bad as the vet says, he should probably be admitted for intensive care. I hope he improves very soon :( x

I think because it was an emergency appointment, it wasn't my usual vet, I see a different lady usual or the man there. Personally I thought when I was making my way to the vets that they were going to take him in.

I think you need to take him back to your usual vets as he does sound quite poorly.
What antibiotics has he been given so far? Any pain relief?

I have rung the vets and said I'm really not happy with how he is, they have said bring him in so I'm taking him in when I get out of work for 5.50 p.m. tonight. My poor baby, it makes me want to cry! :(:(:(

I am wondering if it is a bite from a spider :?

That's a thought.

On a human side of things, I was bitten on my leg by a spider a few years ago, and a huge horseshoe size and shape swelling appeared within a minute or two. After some calamine lotion was applied, it went down after a few days.

Fingers crossed that Jake's problem can be diagnosed and dealt with rapidly.

Best of luck.

Back