• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aggressive bunny

clarebear

Mama Doe
Hello,
Just after some advice for a friend. One of her boy bunnies was neutered about five weeks ago. He has become more aggressive and started to bite. I would imagine these are nips rather than full on bunny bites with blood etc. Could this be because the bunny is in pain? I've suggested a trip back to the vets with him just in case.

Also she has noticed a small bald patch has appeared on her bunnies nose, which is strange as Bramble seems to have one of these at the moment too. Any ideas what might cause this?

One more question too....Sorry! My friends vet has advised her to keep her bunnies in as they are only young and don't yet have a proper winter coat. However she is still putting them our during the day. Is this advisable? I thought the change in temperature would not be good for them.

Many thanks x

When you saiy aggressive can you elaborate? Does he bite when being touched, when someone is in 'his' territory etc? When they do it can often help determine why. A vet check is always a good idea to rule out anything medical but I'd be surpried if there was pain from the neuter 5 weeks later. It can take about 6 weeks post op for hormones to settle.

I don't know about the bald patch without seeing it.

And yes I wouldn't put bunny outside in the day either, granted its not as cold as at night but still a fair difference from indoors.

Does the rabbit have a big hutch with a permanently attached run? Lack of space can make them more territorial...

I agree that it is not a good idea, healthwise to put him out during the day.

Is he ever shut in a cage? My hamster used to get a bald nose in her last cage, due to trying to bite her way out (boredom).

Does the rabbit have a big hutch with a permanently attached run? Lack of space can make them more territorial...

I agree that it is not a good idea, healthwise to put him out during the day.

Is he ever shut in a cage? My hamster used to get a bald nose in her last cage, due to trying to bite her way out (boredom).

this

if you find out what size cage the bunny is in that would be helpful as I have only known bunnies to be aggressive if they are in a small cage, dont have enough to play with, solo bun that is lonely and bored, or if they are ill.

if you find that the bun is in a small cage give your friend this information http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm

Back