• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Problem with the kits

Whitelighter

Warren Scout
I found one kit out if the puppy pen in the middle if the living room floor this morning. They are quite mobile at 2 weeks apparently.

After a brief chase I scooped it up to put it back in the best and it made that horrible screeching noise rabbits sometimes make. Of course Poppy came belting out and started lunging and boxing at my ankles but I managed to get the kit back in the best and left the room to give Poppy and the kit some time to calm down.

About 45 minutes later I decided to check on the family just to make sure I hadn't injured the kit in some way. I distracted Poppy with a treat which she always takes into her house and pulled out one of the kits.

I found its feet and tummy were soaked with urine. The next was the same, the third just had wet feet but the fourth had wet feet, tummy, rear and back. I've been checking them every other day and until now they have been dry. Could the kit that screamed have sprayed in panick or might Poppy have peed on them for some reason? I've cleaned them up with some damp Luke warm towling and dried them off but I had to take the nest apart and restock with hay. It now means all of Poppy's fur and smell has gone from the nest.

Why would they suddenly be urine soaked, and will Poppy act any different to them now they have fresh bedding in the nest?

havent any ideas but hope its going well now:)

How it the little one with the nibbled tail?

Last edited:
Not so good.

It's part of the reason I'm checking often - it seems to be ok but in addition to it's nibbled tail it now seems to have a damaged ear as well.
:(

Don't know if it's Poppy or it's siblings but I'm keeping a close eye on things. I hope we can get to 4-5weeks and then if it gets worse I can seperate it.

having babies seems so stressful :( Best of luck :)

sister had acceintal litter and she must have been very lucky mom 'BB' did a marvelous job, and all 7 survived.

Poppy seems to be doing a good job.

They are huge at 2 weeks (pics later if I can get them to sit still)
Thus us a new development this morning.

Was it the one with nibbled ear and tail that was out of nest? They do get out if nest but I would be concerned about combination of things if it's that one. It may be that mother feels there is something wrong with it I would get prepared to separate and hand rear if any other sign of problem. Also surprised it screamed when picked up. That never happened with any I have experienced

The kit that was out was a different one - actually the biggest in the litter. It is very mobile hopping like an adult so I suspect it just decided it felt like a wander.

I will keep an eye on the little chap having a bad time. It seems that for now mum is feeding him.

Back