• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Search for the perfect bun?

BattleKat

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone else found searching for the right rabbit to be a fruitless and depressing task? :(

Any stories of giving up hope only for the right bun to come along would be greatly appreciated!

Not really quite the same but I felt awful for getting Apricot and Ginger from a breeder before I found RU and realising how many buns were in rescue :cry: I had tried the local rspca but they only had 4 singles at the time and didn't know about BARC or the general rescue problem :cry::oops::cry:

When I found RU I decided to rescue a pair, to try to make amends :cry: fell in love with a pair at BARC, was just about to send an email to start the process, and found they had been reserved literally that morning after a year in rescue. I was pleased for them of course but I just sat and cried :oops::cry: I had a look on Rabbit rehome, and saw pictures of Dandy and Beano and I was like :shock: they looked just like the pair I'd seen at BARC :shock: the only slight problem was they were on the other side of the Pennines at Macclesfield RSPCA and I had to drive over to see them, drive back, wait for a homecheck by the local RSPCA and then drive back over to get them :shock: but I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. A lot of people don't like agouti buns (I love them) and they were really wild/nervy so they were unlikely to be rehomed by a lot of people. They're different buns now :love: really quite confident and I bonded them into a quad in October, Dandy is top bun :shock:

I think sometimes things happen like that, I hope you find your perfect bun soon. Could you tell us what you are looking for and we can help search?

Has anyone else found searching for the right rabbit to be a fruitless and depressing task? :(

Any stories of giving up hope only for the right bun to come along would be greatly appreciated!

I don't think I would class him as the perfect bun but I did accidentally find who I had been searching and searching for. When I lost Artie I wanted to find a male black dwarf lop, no way on this earth could I replace him but i wanted one of his kind in his memory. I spent hours search for said rabbit. I did find one in P@H adoption centre but he was 5 so I couldn't insure which is essential for me. He actually felt wrong because he had a long face and somehow felt like an imposter, difficult to explain but I think I was looking too early, emotions too raw etc.

I eventually came across a harlequin female lionhead (not what I was looking for at all!) but fell for her and took her on instead and stopped searching. I then went to an open day at Bunny Camp Sanctuary... I nearly even left after chatting and looking at the stalls but without looking at bunnies for adoption, I had no intention of adopting afterall. But I did go to see them, and within about 60 seconds of clapping eyes on a black male mini lop with the initial 'A' I put a reserve on him. He was exactly what I'd been looking for. He's not cuddly like Artie but has the same very cheeky mischievous streak that reminds me of young Artie. I found him totally by accident:love:

Last edited:
I desperately miss having a frenchie so I'm looking for a male french lop, ideally under a year old which I know is a big ask.
If their lifespans weren't so short it wouldn't be an issue but I want the best chance of having a good few years with the bun. All the mousey deaths each year really take their toll.

Bunnybuddy, that story is lovely. I think that's what I'm hoping for :love:

I've been in touch with some rescues local to me and am keeping an eye on the websites, and I've been visiting the RSPCA every chance I get just in case I connect with a bun who's not what I'm looking for (there have been two I seriously debated but neither felt quite right).
I've tried to keep up to date with the free ads in case anyone's rehoming one, I've even looked at breeders but haven't found any that I'm 100% happy with and there is no justification in "the best of a bad bunch".

I know I'm being melodramatic but the last 7 months have felt like an eternity :(

I don't have any advice but wanted to say I hope you do find your bunster and you have many happy years together. Don't give up hope :love: :wave:

Have you seen these?

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=33642

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=33556

I hope you find a bun soon... I would also think about widening your search to all big lops - a lot may not be pure frenchie but still just as lovely.

I didn't have to trawl through many buns but I contacted a lot of rescues from all over the country and most did not reply. The few that did had buns that were partially suitable. It was a long email and set out exactly what I was after (a small, female, litter trained house-bun that didn't chew and wasn't destructive) so fair enough, but it was pretty disheartening. Sal and Alice from Windwhistle Warren replied though and went through various options with me and really helped me. We whittled it down to Annabella and her sister, her mother and a couple of other buns. I went to get a bun and came home with Anna :love:

Have you contacted Alice at Windwhistle Warren? Might be worth doing so, even if she is a while away from you. She doesn't have time to put most buns online and generally has around 100 at a time there, so there's a fair chance she will have somebun that is suitable.

I hadn't seen them so thanks for pointing them out, but they're a bit far away :(

I am open to a crossbreed, as long as the bun is big, loppy and reasonably friendly I'd be happy.

Windwhistle is one of the websites I've been looking at and hadn't had much luck with (when I click the buns it says they've been rehomed) but it's not too far away so I'll get in touch, thanks :)

She is the one I was looking for and she perfect to me and my dog

image_zps85624336.jpg

Tbh, most of my buns found me. :lol: Ellie popped up on here and I fell instantly in love with her, so she came to live with me and Fiver. After I lost Ellie, my friend saw Xena advertised for rehoming and passed the link onto me. I had ALWAYS wanted a magpie harly and she was only 15 mins away from me. Fiver was suffering from grief and loneliness after losing Ellie and so it seemed like fate that she came along when she did. It took me a while to really bond with her, however, as I was still grieving over Ellie. They bonded well, and Fiver went back to his usual self, but Fiver never bonded as close with Xena as he had with Ellie.
Shadowfax was found straying a few mins away from me. A friend had found her and I went to help catch her. We finally caught her and she was staying with the friend until they decided what to do with her...it soon became apparent that there was no way they could keep her for any length of time...and I just so happened to have a spare wendy house, so she came to stay with me. I then decided that I would try to bond her with Xena and Fiver, in the hope that their bond would strengthen. It worked, and I now have some very happy, loved up bunnies. :love:

Fiver is the only bun I actively looked for. On a whim, I decided I wanted a house bunny. :roll: So I went through my local pet shops, looking for a bunny to join my family (I didn't even know there was such thing as rabbit rescues!). I saw some little fluffy REWs (looked about 6 weeks old) in one pet shop, but I didn't feel "drawn" to them, even though they were VERY cute.
I then walked into another pet shop (one that I actually liked because they sold my favourite ratty food and had an indoor bun that roamed the shop!) I asked the owner if he had any bunnies, and he said they had only one left. I went and looked at him, and there he was, with his little white nose twitching at me, and I immediately knew that he was to be with me.

I hadn't seen them so thanks for pointing them out, but they're a bit far away :(

I am open to a crossbreed, as long as the bun is big, loppy and reasonably friendly I'd be happy.

Windwhistle is one of the websites I've been looking at and hadn't had much luck with (when I click the buns it says they've been rehomed) but it's not too far away so I'll get in touch, thanks :)

No worries, yep definitely contact her, she hardly ever has the buns online and there are SO many of them. She also has facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wind...loucestershire/138694852819376?ref=ts&fref=ts

After losing yuki my soul bun and then taking on jake who had a disability only for him to pass from a stroke 6 months later it destroyed me as I feel deeply for him and had watched him enjoy life despite his disability

Yuri got depressed as she deeply loved them both but especially jake...

So I hunted an hunted and couldn't find the right bun...

I cuddled up to yuri apologising because I just couldn't did the right husbun for her ...

Then I spotted scamps out of pure luck with his disfigured nose and little blue eyes

I got him from a rescue too His story made me want to bring him home he was described by his previous owners as unfriendly and moody so they named him grumpy :(

They left another rabbit to beat on him hense the nose....

I thought he would be perfect for yuri

And they bonded in a day very little fighting lots of cuddling it was nice to see

They are inseparable and he is sooo affectionate but only on his terms he will come for a cuddle but he needs to come to you

The way he flops out is hallarious he kind of stops all of a sudden then just falls to his side like when in comedies someone pretends to be shot lol

He is such a little character and well earned his new name scamps lol

But sometimes we don't know they are the right bun until they are home and show us

I have a soft spot for the special disabled ect.. Buns they often have a lot to teach me

I started out looking for one baby mini lop but after doing some research I decided it would have to be 2 as one would be alone while I was at work. I knew they would both have to be neutered and spayed and then bonded which I didn't really have the knowledge or room (2 pens etc) to do. Then I read on here about rescue rabbits. To be honest it had never occurred to me that you could rescue a rabbit just like a cat or dog. I was still looking for a male and female mini lop couple but I went to go see Millie and Maddie (then called Thomisina and Gerri!) and I wasn't sure they looked as cute as mini lops in the photo I'd seen. But I met them and they were gorgeous and I picked them up the next day. I couldn't have picked out two better rabbits I don't think. They've taken to being house rabbits really well and haven't caused much destruction! They love their hay and have eaten everything I've given them to try with no problems. I think I've been very lucky getting them as my first bunnies :love:

It always seems to be the way when you're looking for something specific u don't find it but when you're not looking perfection seems to be around every corner! Probably when u stop looking, the right one will find u ;) Good luck :D

I live in Newcastle and one of my buns came from Tameside on a rabbit run strangely enough a frenchie who I love to bits

I wouldn't say Doughnut is perfect, far from it but she is to me. When I saw her I knew she was the one. I'm sure you will find your bun soon, sometimes a photo isn't the best way, when you seem them in the flesh they may pull at your heart strings.

Good luck.

You'll find your perfect bun, I spent ages wanting a pair of French lops, but would only wait for some to come into rescue. I desperately wanted a PEW frenchie too so finding a pair for which a PEW was one of them was basically impossible (or so I thought!)

Few months ago a lovely member on here who was aware I had been looking for rescue FL alerted me to a post in RIN for Doris (now Skye). I fell in love and explained to the rescue that I would make it my priority to find her a male friend. They replied to say she had come in with her son, a PEW frenchie! It was like fate, especially as a few days later my foster bunny got re homed freeing up their home (previously my foster bun was going to move into the 9ft boarding hutch)

It totally felt like fate, and now I have a beautiful pair of frenchies that I absolutely adore, but I did have to wait a long time for them!

Best of luck. I totally understand why you want another frenchie

RSPCA Macclesfield (where Noah and Skye are from) have a lovely frenchie male in at the moment, but I appreciate theyre even further from you than it was from me!

Back