• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How Long is Considered Normal?

LeahsRabbits

Warren Scout
My Blossom had a dental on Thursday, the procedure went really well. Blossom was back at the vets for a checkup on Monday and the vet said everything looked perfect, he'd gained weight etc.

I am a little bit concerned that he is still in pain though. The vet did say he had an ulcer forming on his cheek and tongue so that could possibly be the reason? He was prescribed with 0.4ml Metacam to be given once daily as he is only 1.3kg ATM (lost a lot of weight due to his teeth) but especially after eating he still seems in pain. I'm not sure how long is considered normal to be in pain after a dental but he does seem to perk up after the metacam has been given.

Thank you..

He could be in discomfort for a week or so after the dental. If an ulceration was beginning to form then it could take a little while for the inflammation to go down.

It might be worth contacting the vet and seeing if they think giving the dose twice daily will help for the time being. It would also be a good idea to give him the metacam an hour before his pellets.

Okay thank you Jack, the vet told us to give the metacam after his pellets but I'll give it to him before and see how he goes - If not I'll have to talk about a higher dose :)

Metacam only lasts 12 hours, so they need it twice daily, really. Definitely ask your vets if you can give him that dose twice a day.

You said he had xrays taken didn't you? Did the vet definitely know what she was looking at? I would just be a bit concerned since his eye was watering that it might be his roots. I would give him a week, as Jack said, to make sure he recovers fully. It depends on the bun, and also what damage was caused from the spurs.

Sending top up vibes. x

Metacam only lasts 12 hours, so they need it twice daily, really. Definitely ask your vets if you can give him that dose twice a day.

You said he had xrays taken didn't you? Did the vet definitely know what she was looking at? I would just be a bit concerned since his eye was watering that it might be his roots. I would give him a week, as Jack said, to make sure he recovers fully. It depends on the bun, and also what damage was caused from the spurs.

Sending top up vibes. x

Thank you. Yeah I'm pretty sure she knew what she was looking at, the eye that was watering was on the sharpest spurs and I'm pretty sure it's the side where the ulcer is because when you touch under his right eye he closes it.
She actually said that she was looking at where the roots were sat etc and she obviously got advice from other people too. She said the eye was most likely watering because the spurs were digging into his cheeks!

His eye has fully stopped watering now so surely if it was the roots it would of continued. I may start giving him the metacam twice daily if we have enough of it. I will give him another week and see how he goes!

Thank you :)

Thank you. Yeah I'm pretty sure she knew what she was looking at, the eye that was watering was on the sharpest spurs and I'm pretty sure it's the side where the ulcer is because when you touch under his right eye he closes it.
She actually said that she was looking at where the roots were sat etc and she obviously got advice from other people too. She said the eye was most likely watering because the spurs were digging into his cheeks!

His eye has fully stopped watering now so surely if it was the roots it would of continued. I may start giving him the metacam twice daily if we have enough of it. I will give him another week and see how he goes!

Thank you :)

Then, I would most certainly just give him time. :) Hopefully he will be perfectly fine soon. I find that rather than being in pain after a dental, they feel uncomfortable. Imagine the feeling of having your teeth filed down. It would certainly feel very strange and, if they have been long for a while, it would take some time for a bun to get used to eating again.

Then, I would most certainly just give him time. :) Hopefully he will be perfectly fine soon. I find that rather than being in pain after a dental, they feel uncomfortable. Imagine the feeling of having your teeth filed down. It would certainly feel very strange and, if they have been long for a while, it would take some time for a bun to get used to eating again.

Yeah that is another thought, he isn't grinding his teeth as much as the day/day after he came home although he still does is slightly after eating - that is a sign of improvement I hope! I think he may still be uncomfortable especially with the ulcer. Will be sure to keep a close eye on him!

Rupert didn't have an ulcer and it took him a good week or so to get back to normal, I read that their mouths feel so different after having their teeth burred that it can take them a little while to get used to the new teeth.

Hope Blossom is feeling better soon.

0.4mls is what Rupert gets - and he's 2.2kg, but he's allowed it 2-3 times a day if needed.

Rupert didn't have an ulcer and it took him a good week or so to get back to normal, I read that their mouths feel so different after having their teeth burred that it can take them a little while to get used to the new teeth.

Hope Blossom is feeling better soon.

0.4mls is what Rupert gets - and he's 2.2kg, but he's allowed it 2-3 times a day if needed.

Oh ok thank you for that, I suspect it could even be another week with Blossom then being as it was his first ever dental and he had an ulcer.. must all be strange for him. Blossom is only 1.3kg at the moment as he lost a lot of weight due to his teeth.. I believe that's why the vet told us to give it once a day but I'm not 100% sure!

2me1if5.jpg

This was him just now after his pellets.. he was just fine before he ate them. His dental was 1 week ago tomorrow.. poor boy must still be uncomfortable..

Back